Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Recipes > Fiery Ginger Beer

Old 01-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #341
Ajhutch

Liked 134 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkian View Post
So in hindsight I shouldn't have blended up the fruit - blocked up the conical fermenter, hopefully most of the solids will drop out otherwise Im going to be picking bits out of my teeth.

How long did this take to finish up for people using wine/champagne yeast ? Im going to consider some decent ale or saison yeast for next batch.

I've just done one with a champagne yeast and drank the first one three weeks after making, it was done fermenting in a week then two weeks to carbonate. One thing I'd say, there's not a hint of sweetness in it. I don't mind it but my wife and mother in law both commented they'd like it sweeter. I know there is cider yeast available with sweetener which might be worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #342
munkian

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajhutch View Post
I've just done one with a champagne yeast and drank the first one three weeks after making, it was done fermenting in a week then two weeks to carbonate. One thing I'd say, there's not a hint of sweetness in it. I don't mind it but my wife and mother in law both commented they'd like it sweeter. I know there is cider yeast available with sweetener which might be worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah the champers yeast can really eat through all the sugar. Next time I do this I'm going with an ale or Saison yeast and using a standard FV.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #343
Mapeterz

Default 2nd time brewer...

Hi all.

New to brewing so would appreciate a little advice. (This is only my second brew).

I've had this fermenting for just under a week and it's appeared to be complete already? I pitched at 20oc, sustained 22oc through fermentation. My OG 1045 and just done my final reading at 0.992!? Calculating out at around 7% ABV. Would it be right that the reading can be sub 1.000?

I used GV3 yeast and not sure if it's a bad batch or something else but there was a distinct smell of rotten eggs through most of the fermentation. Having lifted the lid today, as there was little activity in the air lock there's still a residual smell of egg. Any ideas why this might be?

Now admittedly I had put the fermenter in the bathroom where sun was coming in, in the hope of raising the temp up a few degrees. When I returned just 30 mins later the thermometer was reading 26oc. Clearly the liquid didn't reach 26oc but I had read that it can produce off flavours if left in direct sunlight? Could that be a contributing factor? Not sure if it's coincidence, the smell only occurred after this bathroom episode to which i returned it to the airing cupboard.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #344
IainM

Liked 629 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapeterz View Post
Hi all.

New to brewing so would appreciate a little advice. (This is only my second brew).

I've had this fermenting for just under a week and it's appeared to be complete already? I pitched at 20oc, sustained 22oc through fermentation. My OG 1045 and just done my final reading at 0.992!? Calculating out at around 7% ABV. Would it be right that the reading can be sub 1.000?

I used GV3 yeast and not sure if it's a bad batch or something else but there was a distinct smell of rotten eggs through most of the fermentation. Having lifted the lid today, as there was little activity in the air lock there's still a residual smell of egg. Any ideas why this might be?

Now admittedly I had put the fermenter in the bathroom where sun was coming in, in the hope of raising the temp up a few degrees. When I returned just 30 mins later the thermometer was reading 26oc. Clearly the liquid didn't reach 26oc but I had read that it can produce off flavours if left in direct sunlight? Could that be a contributing factor? Not sure if it's coincidence, the smell only occurred after this bathroom episode to which i returned it to the airing cupboard.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Hi,
Yes, hydrometer readings can go below 1.00. Pure water at 20C has a reading of 1.00. Sugar solution is more dense than water, so the hydrometer floats higher and gives a reading greater than one. Alcohol solution is less dense than water, so the hydrometer sinks lower and gives a reading lower than one.

Brewing can produce sulphurous smells. Don't worry about it, it will dissipate with time and should be gone by the time its conditioned and ready to drink.

I don't think direct sunlight would have a big effect on your brew. It can be a problem with beer, as sunlight can cause skunking by causing a reaction with compounds from hops, but as ginger beer doesn't have hops, this isn't an issue.
Conditioning: Black IPA v3, TC, 007:Golden Hop / Amarillo IPA, Experimental Grapefruit single hop, John Bull IPA partial mash
Drinking: Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Honey Cider, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 2, ginger beer

Old 08-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #345
Mapeterz

Thanks for your advice.

Everything you said makes sense. I'll bottle it up and leave it for a while to condition and hopefully I won't be drinking scrambled eggs.

Tags
beer, ginger, ginger beer