Tomorrow's Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kharon

Reaction score
Plan for tomorrow, going for a British Bitter, but not sure if the style is dead on, any pointers?

3Kg Maris Otter Pale
1Kg Mild
250g "CaraMunch"
160g Crystal 90

Amarillo 5g 60m
Challenger 20g 15m
EKG 20g 15m
Amarillo 30g 10m

3rd Gen Wyeast London ESB 1968 which is getting started tonight.

Going for a 67C mash for an hour, then an hour boil.

If you have the grain you could take out the Mild Ale Malt and Caramunich and add more Marris Otter and crystal to be more 'style appropriate'. However you'll be fine leaving them. I recently made a English Pale Ale/Bitter using Caramunich and Lager malt and it was great. The hop types look fine but whats your OG and IBU?

If you have the grain you could take out the Mild Ale Malt and Caramunich and add more Marris Otter and crystal to be more 'style appropriate'. However you'll be fine leaving them. I recently made a English Pale Ale/Bitter using Caramunich and Lager malt and it was great. The hop types look fine but whats your OG and IBU?

Thanks for the feedback, thought I might be slightly "off style". TBH I'm adding the other grains because I liked the look of them :grin:

From Brewer's Friend, OG I'm looking at 1.048 and IBU 37.5

I would change the CaraMunch with the same amount of the Maris Otter Pale
which would be a better

The only other thing I would say is I wouldnt go over 10% of crystal 90 and Caramunich combined (Caramunich is a type of crystal malt, basically munich thats been through the same process as crytal)

Cheers guys, I'll probably forgo the crystal 90 as it's just for the sake of using it up because it looks sad and alone.

Well that was *&%^, must have underdone the mashing or sparged it too quickly. Tasted the wort as it went up to boil and there was very little sweetness. Ended up boiling for an extra hour to bring me down to 15L when I was going for 20. OG was *still* under at 1.042. Also I forgot about adjusting hopping so it'll be overhopped.

Luckily I have some of the last batch to console me :D

Well that was *&%^, must have underdone the mashing or sparged it too quickly. Tasted the wort as it went up to boil and there was very little sweetness. Ended up boiling for an extra hour to bring me down to 15L when I was going for 20. OG was *still* under at 1.042. Also I forgot about adjusting hopping so it'll be overhopped.

Luckily I have some of the last batch to console me :D

I always think its better to over hop a beer than under. If you miss your volume targets your more likely to end up with a beer that's in the middle o low end of the style range for the hopping than a too sweet beer

Latest posts

Back