Flaked Barley

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
Out of interest,does anyone bother using flaked barley in any brews.Think it can go into stout and porter.
Was looking at it in H and B yesterday,pretty cheap as well.Is there any real benefit from using it?
ta

I use it in stout and added to a second runnings I made a few weeks ago as it gives body.I also would add some wheat at times for head retention.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

As well as using mountains of it in stout, I often use it in pales and bitters. It does add body and head retention, if that's what you're after. Lost count of articles I've read, saying that it causes haze. Sigh... have these people ever used the stuff? I don't use wheat cos I think it is dreadful; anyone looking for an alternative, for whatever reason, should give flaked barley a try. I've used 400g in 23l bitters and have never seen the merest hint of haze. No idea what the limit might be but the way some writers whittle on you'd think just showing a pack to your grain bill will result in murky ale. Utter cack!

Ok cheers.
I do use wheat at present in quite a few brews,just never tried flaked barley,will give it a go:thumb:

Give it a toasting under the grill for a few minutes and taste it as there is a lovely taste for an Ale but not for Stout.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Now that I may well try. Looks like a trip to Holland & Barrett is in order cos I'm out of FB right now. A much maligned and neglected adjunct... I'm gonna start an appreciation club.

Now that I may well try. Looks like a trip to Holland & Barrett is in order cos I'm out of FB right now. A much maligned and neglected adjunct... I'm gonna start an appreciation club.

You've already convinced me, I've not had we'd it before but my beers are coming out thin so I'm going to try it to add some more body.

Gunge has got me convinced too. I love a bitter as well as stout. So @gunge, you can can buy it at Holland & Barrett?
Yes, went in there earlier in the week,that is where i saw it.Was going to buy some but wasn't too sure about it.Will do on my next visit

Went to the local HBS at the weekend for a few sundries. Noticed their old and tired looking 500g packs of flaked barley for £1.79. Nipped round the corner to Holland and Barrett and theirs is £1.29 and they have a 'buy one get a second one half price' offer running now. Made me a mild yesterday using a goodly proportion of the two packs I bought! Meanwhile, H&B are being bought out by some Russian outfit, apparently.

Last edited:
Back