How long should you give "it"?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pazza

Reaction score
Just tasted the Wilko cervesa I did (with extra spraymalt) and to be fair it is pretty clear and has carbonated well in the bottle but given the choice you wouldn't order a second!
How long does​ everyone give their brews a chance for before writing them off as a learning experience?

4 weeks minimum. You usually know by 12 weeks.

I had a Belgian Tripel which took 6 months before it was fully drinkable.

If your brew is on the bland side, and it's from a kit, I'd guess your problem may have been your yeast, or your fermentation temperatures.

You'll get better yeasts (than those supplied with the kit) online ​for about £4 or less, delivered.

The early days of fermentation are when the flavours are produced. Keep your temperature as steady as you can, and within the yeasts ideal range.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Just tasted the Wilko cervesa I did (with extra spraymalt) and to be fair it is pretty clear and has carbonated well in the bottle but given the choice you wouldn't order a second!
How long does​ everyone give their brews a chance for before writing them off as a learning experience?
Was never over keen on any of my kit brews in truth.
It's surprising what a bit of storage will do for a brew.Must admit i am a b####r for sampling early ones:lol:,but most taste far better for further keeping.

Month minimum but will get better the longer you leave it

Been a while in the bottle and if I'm honest it's ****! Learning points for me are 1: Brew it how they say to do it 2: Stop ogling it in the fv every couple of days.
Doing a Cwtch tomorrow so hoping for a winner

My answer is ...

"An absolute minimum of SIX MONTHS if it doesn't start to smell like vinegar."

All of the beers I am currently drinking were bottled on or before the 2nd April. :thumb:

Patience isn't just a virtue in brewing, it's an essential part of the process! :thumb:

Doing a Cwtch tomorrow so hoping for a winner

Cwtch is a great kit and comes good really quickly, I'm drinking mine that's been bottled less than a month and it's great.

I think it's the non-hoppy beers like Cerveza/Lager/Porter etc. that take much longer to come good in the bottle. Just found a bottle of a Porter I made for Xmas last year and it's wonderful after nearly 7 months in the bottle. With lagers, I generally find that you need 2-3 months for it to condition.

It really depends on the beer. Occasionally on this and other forums you hear of odd tasting beer only coming good after a couple of years in the bottle, but then being stunners. For a Wilko cervesa brewed with 1kg sugar and 500g spray malt, I'd think it would peak after 4-6 months, and stay good for about a year after that. Looking at my notes, I did a Coopers Cerveza similarly a couple of years ago - with 1kg dextrose and 500g spraymalt. After a month in the bottle I was less than impressed, but after 2 months it had completely transformed.

It's really up to yourself, I've got some cerveza conditioning at the minute and it's ok. Can't really see it getting much better but it's light, crisp, drinkable and bland. After a few days on heavy hopped IPA's a nice bland lager is called for!
I would never chuck anything unless it gets to the point where it really isn't drinkable personally

Latest posts

Back