Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > The crossmyloof brewery yeast

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM   #301
Gerryjo

Liked 464 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerisGOD View Post
He's very helpful. He refunded me on some saaz wrongly priced. PayPal account makes this very easy.
First time I bought was through eBay and I said I was a forum member too which he refunded 10% which is their eBay cost and and told me to order via FB or email.Great service.

Gerry

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #302
dan125
BIAB brewer

Liked 327 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
To be fair and honest I did bottle a few days early cos of upcoming time constraints but I know for certain that it would have been far clearer with one pack. But I'm also certain that there's zero advantage in using 2 packs. Another homebrew myth busted by experience.
I don't think the extra pack would have made any difference to the clarity, as I don't think you end up with significantly more yeast after fermentation.
Was it a particularly high OG beer? As you wouldn't need 2 packs for a beer below 1.050.
I wouldn't call it a homebrew myth - more like accepted practise - Big beers need bigger pitching rates for best results.

DRINKING:
Hoppy Head - golden ale
Idler's Corner IPA - V2
Belly Of The Beast - hoppy brown beer V3
UK SMASH off 2017 entry

Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM   #303
Gunge

Liked 448 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan125 View Post
I don't think the extra pack would have made any difference to the clarity, as I don't think you end up with significantly more yeast after fermentation.
Was it a particularly high OG beer? As you wouldn't need 2 packs for a beer below 1.050.
I wouldn't call it a homebrew myth - more like accepted practise - Big beers need bigger pitching rates for best results.
The 'house' bitter - OG1045, FG 1010. Only the extra yeast could have caused the difference but I'm not moaning, just know for sure not to do it again.

Old Today, 06:10 AM   #304
dan125
BIAB brewer

Liked 327 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
The 'house' bitter - OG1045, FG 1010. Only the extra yeast could have caused the difference but I'm not moaning, just know for sure not to do it again.
I've put this link on another thread where the 1pack/2pack debate came up, but you might find it interesting:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2012/1...tes-explained/

A single 11g pack of notty would only give you a pitch rate of around 0.2 million cells/ml/degree plato in 23L with an OG of 1.045

DRINKING:
Hoppy Head - golden ale
Idler's Corner IPA - V2
Belly Of The Beast - hoppy brown beer V3
UK SMASH off 2017 entry
Gunge Likes This 
Old Today, 08:35 AM   #305
Gunge

Liked 448 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan125 View Post
I've put this link on another thread where the 1pack/2pack debate came up, but you might find it interesting:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2012/1...tes-explained/

A single 11g pack of notty would only give you a pitch rate of around 0.2 million cells/ml/degree plato in 23L with an OG of 1.045
Interesting - thanks. I'm not trying to be awkward but my one and only venture into using 2 packs has yielded only negatives and no positives. However, I haven't sampled the beer yet (which is starbright less than a week after bottling and being as cloudy as hell at the time) so watch this space!