Nottingham Yeast v S-05

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawks

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am yet to try Nottingham yeast as have always used safale or liquid cultures.

I do have a sachet of Nottingham to try out, but interested in people's opinions as it sounds quite similar to S-05 in its high attenuation and neutral flavour - would you agree with that ?

Thanks
Paul

No its a lot more fruity especially if you ferment at 20-21c or you pitch at slightly lower quantites. US-05 is neutral :thumb:

Thanks GA - I was hoping that was the case and then read somewhere it was quite neutral.

I shall give it a go next week I think :thumb:

My preferred yeast for Bitter and stout though today I have some Fullers yeast cultured up from a bottle of Bengal Lancer.

graysalchemy said:
My preferred yeast for Bitter and stout though today I have some Fullers yeast cultured up from a bottle of Bengal Lancer.

I did like the BL yeast and used it a few times earlier this year - just looking for a good backup and something about S-05 is bothering me at the moment ( can't quite put my finger on what which is even more annoying )

Notty would mute the hops slightly compared to US 05, but I use it in a Jaipur clone, which tastes great.

I get 79% attenuation with Notty and 83% with US05.

Regarding Fullers BL, what attenuation have you got in the past?; my currnet brew with it started 10 days ago at 1059 and is now at 1020, I was hoping for 1015, but the krausen has dropped, so we shall see.

I've just come back from a couple of nights in Chester with the missus.

We ate at the Pied Bull both nights and I supped a good few pints of one their own beers, Matador. It's a rather fine brew and although it's described as a malt driven ale, the hop flavours are quite to the fore. Cascade to start, some Chinook and loads of Galaxy towards the end the brewer told me.
They've only got a 1 barrel brewery but the brewer, Tom Sinclair ( please forgive the spelling if it's not right ), is very passionate about the beer they're brewing there. Like most brewers, you can't shut them up once you get on the subject of beer :D
The thing that surprised me was the fact he uses S-04........... and it's a VERY TASTY BEER.
Anybody else tried it?

Cheers Tom

P.S. I am not the Tom mentioned above by the way.......

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Nottingham is my No1 choice.... maybe it's because I bought 500g.... :whistle:

Thats what I was looking at :thumb: - my 500g pack of S-05 has run out and I am ready to change...

79% attenuation sounds better - I also get 83-85% from S-05 and want a touch less :cheers:

BL yeast appears to have given about 75% from my records

Hawks said:
BarnsleyBrewer said:

Thats what I was looking at :thumb: - my 500g pack of S-05 has run out and I am ready to change...

79% attenuation sounds better - I also get 83-85% from S-05 and want a touch less :cheers:

Got mine off ebay and spit it into 30-40g vacuum packs for my 13 gallon brew days. :thumb:

JML vacuum sealer, works great.

BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Hawks said:
BarnsleyBrewer said:

Got mine off ebay and spit it into 30-40g vacuum packs for my 13 gallon brew days. :thumb:

JML vacuum sealer, works great.

BB

£24.80 ( plus P&P ) from Murphys here

The challenge is on for next week...

60 litres of Best to be brewed - split into 3 FVs - Nottingham v S05 v S04

May the best dried yeast win !!!

Pearlfisher said:
One of the extract kits I was looking at came with either Nottingham or S-04 , they said the S-04 made a sweeter tasting ale.

I did 2 consecutive AG batches based on a Theakston Best recipe, one using S-04 and the other was Mauribrew Ale 514. There was an overlap, so I treated the guys on the allotment to a blind tasting.
In both cases the start and finish gravities were 1038 - 1009, as per G Wheeler's recipe. They all agreed that the S-04 was sweeter. Apart from that, the ales tasted similar. The Aussie yeast fermented a touch quicker IIRC.

Latest posts

Back