Absolute beginner!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GazzaWazza

Reaction score
Hello,
My name's Garry and I've just started my first ever brew off yesterday (06/12/2013), which was a "Brewmaker Northumberland Brown Ale" kit.

I'm an absolute novice but I'm sure I've followed the (very scant) instructions to the letter, disinfecting everything etc., but at the moment nothing seems to be happening. I have a couple of questions.

First of all, should the lid on my fermenting bin be sealed tightly? (I fitted it on tight but then eased a little bit of the rim slightly loose).

Second, should there be a froth forming on the surface of the wort by now (over 24 hours), and if there isn't, does it mean it's not fermenting?

Thirdly, If it isn't fermenting, is it just a case of binning it and starting again? Or is there a way of starting the fermentation process now?

I have checked the temperature and it looks about 17deg C, I've adjusted the house CH thermostat to maintain 18.5deg but still my beer is remaining at 17deg C. Is my beer a lost cause or can it be rescued?

By the way, I apologise if I'm doing anything wrong or breaking any protocols, but I've never used any forum site like this before!

Cheers,
Garry.

Wot he said.
In a 5 gallon bin it takes the yeast a while to multiply itself up to the level where it can start doing the exciting stuff. You won't see much until then.
If nothing after 3 days, give it a good stir and try to get it up to 20 or 21

Back