The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to agree with your first comment however my favourite has got to be galaxy, just taken delivery of a kilo from geterbrewed, cost fifty quid but most other suppliers are out of stock.

Next batch on is likeley to be Cluck’d If I Know, an Old Golden Hen clone with ABV ramped up a bit.
I've yet to try galaxy to be honest, it's a tad hard to find usually. Lol

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Regarding the yeasts, has anyone used the California common? I ordered one in a 5 pack mix and don't really have a clue what to try with it. An bit daft I realise but I like messing around. I've never drank Anchor or any other steam beer either, lol. I was thinking of giving a lager kit a go, possibly Cooper's Aussie, with perhaps some crystal malt and cascade at about 17 degrees, then bottling and largering in my specially designed largering cellar (my garage, which is blooming freezing at the moment) for month or so. I realise I'm just flailing around in the dark here as I've no idea what might work well.

I've used the Cali Common! Not a lager fan but I made a very pale brew using 100% Ultra hops and ****-loads of rice, fermented at ale temps - ie 19-20C. Just an experiment for a change really but it came out very nice and I'm sure any not - too - fussy lager drinker would have been suitably impressed.

I recently used the California common with a Cooper's lager kit. It made a much nicer pint than the stock yeast. I'd imagine it would be a belter with a decent all grain recipe.

I used the Cali Common yeast for V3 of my steam beer and it came out very well! Best beer I’ve made. It’s very malty, and seems a lot “crisper” than when I’ve used the M54.

Just fermented at 19C, and conditioned in the shed.

I fermented at 17.5 and had a huge Krausen within 24 hours. Brought it down to 0.5 for 9 days after 12 days of fermentation. Crystal clear, light, easy drinking with a subtle fruitiness (not the cardboardy fruit I got with the stock yeast).

Wot they done that for? Or more specifically, to use in what beers? Been wanting to try Galaxy myself for a while but have noticed the dearth of them.

Just looked it up. Apparently they're using them in Hop House 13 lager, alongside Topaz and Mosaic if the info is correct. Bluh, wasted in a lager!

I used the Cali Common yeast for V3 of my steam beer and it came out very well! Best beer I’ve made. It’s very malty, and seems a lot “crisper” than when I’ve used the M54.

Just fermented at 19C, and conditioned in the shed.

That's very interesting to read. I had a Scottish ale (think it was a wee heavy) the other day in 'spoons. Did a bit of googling on the style and scottish ales (yeasts) are clean but very malty. This chimed with my experience with the MJ Calilager yeast and I wondered if the CML was similat

Hop House 13 is Guinness' attempt to hoover up some of the 'craft beer revolution' by making a 'craft' lager

Talking of which, anyone seen the whisky industrie's attempts to break into the 'craft' market? Whisky aged in barrel's that had previously had ales in them. Both Jameson's and Genfiddich are at it

https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/uk/ourwhiskeys/jameson-caskmates

https://www.glenfiddich.com/explore/experimental-ipa

Time was beer brewers would get hold of whiskey barrels to aged their beer in, now it's the other way around.

So my Canadian Blonde I did a.week ago using CML Real ale yeast has dropped from 1048 to 1012. I don't see it dropping much further, and intend to dry hop it now. What's the general consensus as regards temperature - keep the water bath at 20 or turn it down a bit?

I dry hop as warm as possibile. Tried dry hopping at 14C once because of something i read in DIYDog. Utter ********.

Latest posts

Back