Ace micro brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One comment on the temp probe...........

Seems a bit slow to read the actual temp. Did a short boil test today with water and it was out by between 3 and 8c. Was worried I'd got a duffer but once it had reached the boil the reading was near enough spot on with my Hanna probe all the way down to 60c. Will do another test tomorrow heating to 70 on my hand held and see how long it takes the built in probe to catch up. Will report back

Cheers. Tom

Thanks for the update Tom.

If got a good welder if you do want help with a project, I've forgotten the model off the top of my head but I remember it being able to do tif aswell if I get the accessories

Having access to a welder is invaluable. I plan on modding this as we identify shortcomings of the unit.

One comment on the temp probe...........

Seems a bit slow to read the actual temp. Did a short boil test today with water and it was out by between 3 and 8c. Was worried I'd got a duffer but once it had reached the boil the reading was near enough spot on with my Hanna probe all the way down to 60c. Will do another test tomorrow heating to 70 on my hand held and see how long it takes the built in probe to catch up. Will report back

Cheers. Tom

A second test has just confirmed, thankfully, that the temp probe is actually reasonably accurate.
This time I had the recirculation pump running and my Hanna was step for step with the on board probe :thumb:

One question for those who boil outside.

This is the first time I've needed to do it myself as I've previously used a 33l pot on the stove and the hob's extraction unit was able to cope with the steam from the weak boil.
During yesterday's brief trial in the kitchen I managed a good vigorous boil but where was rather a lot of steam. Today when outside it wasn't as lively, presumably due to the temp outside being a bit chilly. So...........
What options are there for lagging the machine? The walls do get quite hot so I'm presuming it's not as well insulated as the more expensive machines? So what materials that are generally available would be able to withstand the temperature and assist in improving the boil?

Cheers Tom

Been doing a bit of research.

Foil lined camping mats or radiator insulation seem to be popular. Any thoughts which would give the best results? I'm thinking that the foil backed foam mat might be the best option.

Cheers. Tom

Been doing a bit of research.

Foil lined camping mats or radiator insulation seem to be popular. Any thoughts which would give the best results? I'm thinking that the foil backed foam mat might be the best option.

Cheers. Tom

I read 'somewhere' that the location of the temperature probe on kettles like his pose issues with the element cutting off sooner than they should. If you experienced a vigorous boil I suspect it's more than likely working as designed. Moving the probe elsewhere may prove helpful at attaining a more vigorous boil.

It will be interesting to see if it can maintain temperatures in the mash while recirculating without scorching the wort. I don't recall seeing if the heater has a lower wattage mode- just all or nothing until temperature is reached.

My kettle is sitting at the post :(

It will be interesting to see if it can maintain temperatures in the mash while recirculating without scorching the wort. I don't recall seeing if the heater has a lower wattage mode- just all or nothing until temperature is reached.

The power can be set in steps of 100w, how it does that I don't know.
I'll use it in manual mode for my 1st brew, set at 2500w till it gets to 72-75c ish for mashing in. Once up to temp I'll stop it manually then reset it to 66c and 800w ish.
The trial I did earlier was at 72c and it cycled the element off at 72 then back on at 70 but my Hanna was reading 70.5 when it kicked in. Shame there's no decimal point on the built in probe display :grin:

Cheers Tom

Got myself a foil backed mat from Tesco, £3.30 :)
Only problem is that the foil looks a bit thin. Feels like it'll easily rip. Time will tell though but I don't want bits of foam melting onto my new shiny thing :(

Cheers. Tom

Got myself a foil backed mat from Tesco, �£3.30 :)
Only problem is that the foil looks a bit thin. Feels like it'll easily rip. Time will tell though but I don't want bits of foam melting onto my new shiny thing :(

Cheers. Tom

This man has respect for the shiny shiny toy, smart is he !

I read 'somewhere' that the location of the temperature probe on kettles like his pose issues with the element cutting off sooner than they should. If you experienced a vigorous boil I suspect it's more than likely working as designed. Moving the probe elsewhere may prove helpful at attaining a more vigorous boil.

Have you got any grain waiting for you for once you have your kit arrive ? I'm new to AG so don't know what to do as my first brew

Price has dropped to £310 now on pre orders for 1st Feb

Cheers. Tom

Can you just confirm that I can programme different temps for set amounts of time and that the wort pump works well + what else would I need to buy with it ?

I've not even looked into the programmed side of it yet. As far as I know though there are 5 or 6 programmable steps in auto mode, presumably each with their own temp and time setpoints.
The wort pump does work well but I'm not 100% sure what temperature it's rated to. You'll need some method of heating your sparge water but apart from that the only thing not included is a work chiller but as most people have one already it's no biggie.

Cheers. Tom

I've not even looked into the programmed side of it yet. As far as I know though there are 5 or 6 programmable steps in auto mode, presumably each with their own temp and time setpoints.
The wort pump does work well but I'm not 100% sure what temperature it's rated to. You'll need some method of heating your sparge water but apart from that the only thing not included is a work chiller but as most people have one already it's no biggie.

Cheers. Tom

I don't have 1 but could always make my own I suppose

Takes ten minutes, hardest part is finding the right sized tube to roll it round, and if you're not fussy about appearance you can ignore that and just bend it about by hand, will work just as well. Shedloads of youtube vids show you how.

Takes ten minutes, hardest part is finding the right sized tube to roll it round, and if you're not fussy about appearance you can ignore that and just bend it about by hand, will work just as well. Shedloads of youtube vids show you how.
Hi!
25 foot of 10mm copper pipe is nearly £50 from Screwfix. :doh:
I'm tempted to give up on DIY plans and buy one online, or, even cheaper, go no-chill.

Have you got any grain waiting for you for once you have your kit arrive ? I'm new to AG so don't know what to do as my first brew

I don't. Still need some measuring devices, mineral salts, fermentation vessel, buckets, bottling equipment, etc.

American wheat beer is very easy to make and hard to screw up. I would recommend that if you're doing AG.

Nice to know the ACE Microbrewery has stepping to reduce/prevent scorching or malt liquid. If you guys check the video, the gentleman also posted brewing with it on another forum. Awesome to view anyone looking at buying one, check it out on YouTube, there's a link in the description to a forum where he posted additional videos.

Hi!
25 foot of 10mm copper pipe is nearly �£50 from Screwfix. :doh:
I'm tempted to give up on DIY plans and buy one online, or, even cheaper, go no-chill.

I will have a look into this because generally these items are more expensive if you are members of the public and aren't 'trade' customers

Back