Blackberry and Elderberry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDog

Regular.
Reaction score
1lb 11oz (765g) Elderberries
4lb (1.84kg) Blackberries (70/30 BB to EB)
4lb Sugar

1/12/2016 - Defrosted fruit, added 8 pints boiling water to fruit and sugar. Mashed by hand in the bucket. Cooled to 20 degrees, and added 1.5 camden tablets, and 1.5 tsp pectolase. Left for 24 hrs.

02/12/2016 - Added yeast nutrient and yeast (Super yeast compound).
SG = 1.110. Left for 8 days, stirring once daily.

10/12/2016 - Strained off pulp into full DJ + 1 litre PET. No camden added.
SG = 0.996

26/01/2017 - Racked onto 1 camden, degassed, and bottled. 7 full bottles, very little sedement, and compacted. Crystal clear, no finings used.
SG = 0.988 = 16%

Tastes amazing, as good as any £5-10 wine I've bought - even so young. A world away from 100% blackberry wine.

Could be a fluke, but I'm not going to make any other country wines this year, other than this exact recipe.

I didn't know you could get the SG down as low as 0.988.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is possible with starch in your brew. Generally with sugar based no and a hydrometer or reading prob'.

It is possible with starch in your brew. Generally with sugar based no and a hydrometer or reading prob'.

I really struggle reading my hydrometer, and always forget if I read the top, or bottom of the meniscus. I know the Wilko one is different from the usual way..

Could have been 0.990 , very possibly.

you added 1lt of PET, What is PET?

PET plastic bottles are a popular choice for packaging soft drinks due to the numerous benefits they provide both to manufacturers and consumers. 70% of soft drinks (carbonated drinks, still and dilutable drinks, fruit juices and bottled water), are now packaged in PET plastic bottles – the rest comes mainly in glass bottles, metal cans and cartons.

Strained off pulp into full DJ + 1 litre PET. No camden added.

PET plastic bottles are a popular choice for packaging soft drinks due to the numerous benefits they provide both to manufacturers and consumers. 70% of soft drinks (carbonated drinks, still and dilutable drinks, fruit juices and bottled water), are now packaged in PET plastic bottles �" the rest comes mainly in glass bottles, metal cans and cartons.

As he said :thumb:

I try to make a bit extra for topping up, so have various 1 litre plastic bottles with the caps drilled and grommit fitted (so they take an airlock)

Back