Raw Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Until recently i had no idea that raw beer even existed. Then i came across David Heath's videos and i am going to have a go. Will be a short brew day as well. I have all the stuff but will make a weaker version. I have seen a few on here with raw beer in their sigs so i would love to know how you got on. I am guessing you dont need to leave it to mature for too long either. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-NshjsSVXw[/ame]

Aye! I watched this the other nite!
Interesting...
Like you a small batch first 10l.
Into a cube..pitched yest next day.
Need more info on it before I try it tbh!
Bri

If i have time hopefully on Tuesday. I don't think i am gonna no chill this one though. Just put in an FV in the sink and finish cooling in my fridge then pitch. I will let you know how it goes. Nice to keep old traditions alive hey. Cheers Bri. :)

Sounds like a great idea. Could work brilliantly for low-bitterness beers. Would be interesting to see how an NEIPA would turn out using this method.

If i have time hopefully on Tuesday. I don't think i am gonna no chill this one though. Just put in an FV in the sink and finish cooling in my fridge then pitch. I will let you know how it goes. Nice to keep old traditions alive hey. Cheers Bri. :)

M8
I'm with you....
Be good to learn the old ways...not saying I'll do it every time!
Don't want to forget how to do it haha!
Bri

Last nite I started to get info overload....confusion set in! N that's befor I had my meds lol
So what I've learned the last few days on 'no boil' went into a space in my tiny heed! And no mater how I tried to understand it to no afail!
What's the purpose of no boil? Why if it's good why we do it instead of boiling? Why did I buy my gf if this process works every time?
So today in the light of day! I'm going to take it slowly!
And pin point what's it's all about!
Ok I'm missing some marbles up stairs! But I'll get there...
If I can do kit beers the old way! I can do a Ag no boil...
But the funtermentals why we do it etc is fuzzy in my brain...
The time to do it! Must be an factor???
Ohh well off to do the dad n daughter enjoyment at the sea side...:-)
Just wanted to put my thoughts down before I forget lol
Bri

Hi Bri. It confused me at first as well. As far as i can understand in old times it would of been a lot harder to boil large amounts of wort and much beer would of been made this way. Apparently DMS is only produced at 82c so it wont be a problem and its also going to be pasteurised. The beer wont keep as long though (don't know for how long) and the beer can be drunk young. Will take some photos tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

This is an interesting idea. Doing a GF brew is a bit dull in as much as the mash and boil give you plenty of time to do stuff like ironing your shirts or bottling / racking (if that is your preference) other beers. On a slack day it might be possible to do a small stove top beer - up to 12L or so at the same time. Just use a 15L pot and mash in the oven. Then a quick dunk sparge and away.

I got some Green Bullet pellets (12.2% and a great tasting hop) from Shane at HBC not long ago and a 3.75kg MO and 50g GB brew might be interesting, especially if it adds no extra time to the brew day?

I starting to see the crack about it! Thx pal
But gonna be a boring brew day...haha!! Try it once honest!!
Just to say I don't it...learnt why and crack on boiling wart n hops!! lol
Bri

This is an interesting idea. Doing a GF brew is a bit dull in as much as the mash and boil give you plenty of time to do stuff like ironing your shirts or bottling / racking (if that is your preference) other beers. On a slack day it might be possible to do a small stove top beer - up to 12L or so at the same time. Just use a 15L pot and mash in the oven. Then a quick dunk sparge and away.

I got some Green Bullet pellets (12.2% and a great tasting hop) from Shane at HBC not long ago and a 3.75kg MO and 50g GB brew might be interesting, especially if it adds no extra time to the brew day?

If you had a spare pot you could BIAB this while using your GF. Mash out by adding boiling water. You would lose some efficiency but i am not bothered by that. Not decided what pot to do it in yet but i may go BIAB and stir every 15mins.
Green bullet is a cool sounding name, go for it and let us know how it goes. I have loads of citra coming so i may do a raw pale ale after this.

Who's up to it??
Unfortunately I'm takeing our lass to see her relitaves at Edinburgh zoo :lol: for a few days.
Might try a small batch of IPA...
I'll have read up....after a successful brew! Be in a cube again ova nite...
How's the hops going to be like?
Dry hops after racking?
Any mash steps other than 60 min @ 65-66c and mash out @ 75c??
Ohhh well best get my driving head on...hoping she'll go for the trian.
Later all
Bri
Looking fwd to this one...

A lot the net about doing it with BIAB, DME this n that..
But I'm worried with AG..getting the balance of hops IBU's and the overall abv etc...
Ok this is experimental...but am I wasting my time using the GF? Specially a small batch..
Is this getting me to do a BIAB for the first time? Let alone have I got a big nuff pot!!
Obviously I should wait for advice...lol
Is it a experiment too far lol?
A lot to take in (well for me lol)
Bri

Not too sure about all this. Says in the video that the beer will be pasteurised, just like milk is - and pasteurised milk keeps for about 10 days max before going off.
It also says in medieval times they would have had difficulty boiling the wort - so how did they get it up to mash temperature then?
It wouldn't work for me anyway as I have to boil all my water here if I'm going to use it for brewing.

Not too sure about all this. Says in the video that the beer will be pasteurised, just like milk is - and pasteurised milk keeps for about 10 days max before going off.
It also says in medieval times they would have had difficulty boiling the wort - so how did they get it up to mash temperature then?
It wouldn't work for me anyway as I have to boil all my water here if I'm going to use it for brewing.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i look at it...doubt in my tiny brain comes rushing in...

Are you not concerned about fusel alcohols at those temps?

Any time I've gone above 24 degrees I've had issues.

Latest posts

Back