BM brew 4 - Orval Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serum

Landlord.
Reaction score
My last Orval clone went down really well so thought I'd do one on the BM. I've found two different step mash programmes allegedly from the monastery so gave one a go.

Recipe:

Planned OG - 1.051
Planned FG - 1.004
IBU - 43.5
Yeast - WLP510 - Bastogne and Orval dregs

Mash:

3kg Dingemans Pale
1kg Weyermann Vienna
100g Weyerman Caramunich

Mash in @ 40C
15 minutes @ 61C
25 minutes @ 68C
30 minutes @ 71C
Mash out @ 80C

Boil - 90 mins
30 IBU Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 60 mins
8 IBU Bobek @ 30 mins
500g sugar @ 15 mins

Ferment
Start and 17C and increase temp by 1C each day
50g Celeia Dry Hop after a week
Rack to secondary and add Orval dregs to add brettanomyces
Stash away for 2-3 months

This was quite a busy brew day. I set the BM off and mashed in then legged it to B&Q to get some timber to build a stand for the fermenter so I can put it in the fridge I just got. Luckily it's a nice day.

Got that built just in time but when I finished the boil and chilled it I realised I'd forgotten to add the sugar! I'll have to add that later but the OG was where it should be after taking that into account.

The FV is really full so it looks likely to try to burst out. I've added a blow off tube but hopefully that won't get too gunked up.

Updates to follow!

Is this recipe different to your previous version, the one I tried? If it's anywhere near as good it'll be a belter.

It's pretty much the same, upped the ibu a bit and it's getting the step mash this time round

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

It'll be interesting to see how the step mash affects it.
Btw thanks for the review of my brett saison, always appreciate your feedback. I have a feeling there might have been a slight lacto infection in that brew, probably something I did while culturing the yeast, because I brewed another batch with that yeast and it has the same tartness, but more so. Actually tastes rather lambic like and it's not too bad.

The sourness didn't seem out of place Steve, especially given the brett flavour. I've had similar beers. Maybe it's a happy accident! None of my accidental sours were unfortunately!

Boiled up the sugar in water and added last night. Glugging away again this morning

Back