Will it brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
This month's homebrew club has this as a theme does anybody have any suggestions for what weird ingredient I can take along?

At the Easter social meeting we discussed an idea for a club brewing challenge based on an idea from American homebrew clubs. The basic concept is an unusual ingredient challenge and this is how it will probably work.

Everyone who wants to be involved in the challenge buys an unusual ingredient to the 18th June meeting. These ingredients can be anything but need to be a) not a normal brewing ingredient, b) food safe, c) reasonable to brew with (ie. nothing that will kill yeast).

The ingredients are allocated to brewers randomly and everyone brews a beer using the ingredient they where given (there will be a mechanism to swap ingedients you are allergic to (or similar)). The special ingredient needs to be at least tastable in the final beer.

In September we hold a tasting session and vote for the beer that best showcases it's 'special ingredient'.

h[B[/B]ttp://manchesterhomebrew.co.uk/you-want-me-to-brew-with-what/

That is a fun challenge. There are so many routes you could go. You could go completely out there with something savoury like cheese powder, tomato puree, chicken stock cubes, soy sauce, fish sauce, etc..., or you could be niceer and go with something unusual but still in the ballpark of whats been done before, like lychees, tea, galangal, peanuts or oregano.

How about things that have a distinctive flavour are starch based, and therefore mashable? Sweet Potato, Beetroot, Parsnip or peas.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

This month's homebrew club has this as a theme does anybody have any suggestions for what weird ingredient I can take along?

At the Easter social meeting we discussed an idea for a club brewing challenge based on an idea from American homebrew clubs. The basic concept is an unusual ingredient challenge and this is how it will probably work.

Everyone who wants to be involved in the challenge buys an unusual ingredient to the 18th June meeting. These ingredients can be anything but need to be a) not a normal brewing ingredient, b) food safe, c) reasonable to brew with (ie. nothing that will kill yeast).

The ingredients are allocated to brewers randomly and everyone brews a beer using the ingredient they where given (there will be a mechanism to swap ingedients you are allergic to (or similar)). The special ingredient needs to be at least tastable in the final beer.

In September we hold a tasting session and vote for the beer that best showcases it's 'special ingredient'.

h[B[/B]ttp://manchesterhomebrew.co.uk/you-want-me-to-brew-with-what/

I was looking at shredless marmalade, thinking will it brew! :hmm:

I couldn't see any preservatives mentioned in the ingredients list and would the bitter orange flavour mean I didn't need bittering hops?

Orange is hard to use. I've used it a few times. Ginger is better and the taste comes out great.
However, I want to try Shiso. It's a Japanese leave that has a distinct flavor. I personally love it but been trying to wrap my head around how to use it in beer. Mash? Boil? Tea bag?

Orange is hard to use. I've used it a few times. Ginger is better and the taste comes out great.
However, I want to try Shiso. It's a Japanese leave that has a distinct flavor. I personally love it but been trying to wrap my head around how to use it in beer. Mash? Boil? Tea bag?

Why not try all 3,purely for experimental reasons and do a side by side comparison...

Butternut squash. Roasting it will convert much of the starch to sugar. Then add it to the mash and I'm sure it will work well.

Thanks for all the ideas chaps, I've been thinking about this a little today, and not sure if I should be naughty or nice. I did think about some unpasteurized sauerkraut, thought it might work in a gose or berliner weisse but that would be naughty wouldn't it 😈

Thanks for all the ideas chaps, I've been thinking about this a little today, and not sure if I should be naughty or nice. I did think about some unpasteurized sauerkraut, thought it might work in a gose or berliner weisse but that would be naughty wouldn't it 😈
I have brewed a Rowan Berry ale and a Second chestnut Ale last year.The first coming out really tart but drinkable to an acquired taste with the Chestnut giving a slight sweet earthiness with a hint of ginger.
I have coconut which I'm going to toast slightly and add to a mash to see how it turns out.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Elderflower is interesting in a pale ale - there is recipe in GH's book, but it is a bit "mainstream". As in - not particularly unpleasant.

Well I took a trip around sainsburys in my dinner break and came out with 100g of dried porcini mushrooms. That's not being boring or to mean, so best of both worlds. Could go in with the mash maybe, whirlpool or a5 day dry shrooming.
God knows what I'm Gona end up with, no doubt I'll be on here looking for any advice from you lot.
This should get you all thinking about what you could brew for the experimental beers comp that I'm up for judging in August.

Well I took a trip around sainsburys in my dinner break and came out with 100g of dried porcini mushrooms. That's not being boring or to mean, so best of both worlds. Could go in with the mash maybe, whirlpool or a5 day dry shrooming.
God knows what I'm Gona end up with, no doubt I'll be on here looking for any advice from you lot.
This should get you all thinking about what you could brew for the experimental beers comp that I'm up for judging in August.

That sounds like a really good one, they have a nice nutty flavour that could be interesting in a brown ale or a stout

Well I ended up with a bottle of tropical flavour fizzy pop. All I can think of doing with it is boil it down to a syrup and prime a few bottles with it, I'm Gona have another go at a NEIPA I think.
I could have ended up with a tin of black treacle, a bail of hay, 500g of 5year old fuggles, burdock root, strawberry nutrigrain bars or a kilo of dried blood.

Anyone for black pudding porter?

DCm_OZHXkAAiQ-g.jpg

Latest posts

Back