Wilko light golden lager tweek

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeyd

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got my first kit batch of the above on, made as standard (unfortunately only with brewing sugar not spray malt), just brewed slightly short by a couple of litres.
I racked it 3 weeks ago and I was going to bottle it this week but I'm wondered if it's worth dry hopping it with some Aurora hops for a few days beforehand just to try and add some additional flavour.

Any advice please?

Thanks Mike

I think you're adding too many variables if this is your first kit. Keep it simple. Bottle it, drink it.

If you want to experiment, why not keep a couple of bottles back, then do the same kit again, but this time with the dry hop, and then compare the two?

Is this your first brew?.
Why not just bottle as is and see how you like it.If it's half decent you can always do another and start to tweak it that one
Think if you dry hop,it will need another 5 days!

Get yourself another cheap FV, syphon half off and dry hop that, then you can compare the two.

I'd experiment if I was you, a kit done to instructions with sugar is never going to set the world on fire and you'll have 40 pints of it to get through.

It is my first beer brew, yes. I've done cider and wine but first time for beer!
It does make sense to see what it's like as it comes. Also like the idea of trying it with and without the hops added!
Maybe I could bottle half, then add hops to the remaining brew, then bottle that after a week.

Any reason that shouldn't work?

Thanks.

Hi
I'm doing the same kit for a BBQ In 6 weeks time. I'm going to use 1kg sugar 500mgs DME + 2 sachets of CML Belgium yeast & dry hop with 100gms of saaz It's a bit of an experiment & I'll be using my partners brood as guinea pigs as they'll drink anything If It's free.

Hopefully that will work out nicely then Pete.

I've got some carb drops left over from some cider making so was going to use those up for bottling in 500ml pet bottles. Does 2 drops per bottle sound ok for this brew?

Hopefully that will work out nicely then Pete.

I've got some carb drops left over from some cider making so was going to use those up for bottling in 500ml pet bottles. Does 2 drops per bottle sound ok for this brew?
I would use one per bottle personally. I only ever used them once,didn't think much to them,went to adding sugar per bottle and only faffed around with that once..If you can batch prime it's soooooooooooooo much easier. You can then adjust to your own carbing needs.Just use the calculator available on here:thumb:

I'll definitely batch prime next time, it's only as I had the drops sitting around thought I may as well use them up.
I used two drops per bottle for my last cider brew and that didn't add as much carbonation as I would have liked.
I didn't know if beer would be different. Didn't want to over carb and end up with bottle bombs!

Back