Watch T.V legally without a T.V Licence.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I found this earlier and am not really surprised only 2 per cent of households currently only watch catch-up, anyone here doing this or may do in the future?.

Revealed: How you can watch TV without paying £145.50 each year for a licence (and it IS legal)

Viewers who only watch on-demand and catch-up TV do not have to pay a fee
It means householders can watch services such as Netflix without a licence
However the BBC iPlayer is not exempt from the annual £145.50 payment

Householders without a TV licence were offered a way to escape being fined in new rules made public yesterday.
But there is also a way to avoid paying for a licence all together - and it is completely legal.
Viewers do not need to pay the annual fee if they only watch TV shows on catch-up or via on-demand services such as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and Apple TV.

Only viewers who watch or record programmes at the same time as they are shown on TV need to have a licence. This includes shows watched on laptops, tablets and other devices.
It means a simple change in viewing habits could mean a saving of £145.50 a year.
However fewer than 2 per cent of households currently only watch catch-up TV, a spokeswoman for TV Licencing told the Daily Mirror.

One exception to the on-demand loophole is the BBC iPlayer service, which has required a TV licence since September last year.
The new rules for magistrates unveiled yesterday mean if householders can show they were not trying to avoid paying and had failed to have a licence for less than six months, then they will be given a conditional discharge.
The change ordered from April by the Sentencing Council means such non-payers of the fee will still be convicted of a criminal offence but not punished.

Possible scenarios include those who thought they had a licence or failed to get one by mistake and those who thought someone else in their house had paid.
Offenders may also be those who had tried but failed to pay and those who paid for a licence immediately after being told they needed one.
There will be higher fines for those who make efforts to avoid paying or who make no attempt to get a licence. Under the rules being replaced, magistrates can fine licence dodgers up to £1,000, although the average amount is £170.
TV Licensing, which collects the fee for the BBC, said the change would not open a loophole and would apply in a very limited number of cases.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-TV-without-paying-licence.html#ixzz4ju44cGhx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I am one of that 2% I watch netflix and alot of utube and occasionally 4OD or similar, until September I watched iplayer and am always considering a TV license but don't feel the need.

of all the taxes the tv licence fee is pretty good VFM from my perspective, the balance that the BBC News service offers with its desire to appear impartial as much as possible has far reaching effects on the whole content for profit media industry, resulting in all broadcasters shooting higher with standards across the boards than they would if the BBC were not there..

Radio4 has saved my sanity when stuck in mid summer traffic queues all too often.

and local radio stations get the nation to and from work helping us all negotiate the hurdles of traffic incidents and transport breakdowns..

while far from perfect and home to way too many Henries and Jocasters a Britain without the BBC would be a poorer place in ways we would all miss.

If it weren't for HIGNFY and the occasional *really good* series (Versailles comes to mind atm) and the impending doom of TV licensing letters I definitely would.

you can always get a freesat box with iptv and cccam tv setup
which I have cost just £55 for life if you find the right site
just google IPTV CCCAM to have a look

Paying for a license to watch T V boggles my mind.
Not all that long ago when the U.S. government had the switch to digital they ordered the networks to keep broadcasting free over the air T V programs. At my house we get over four dozen channels. Most of which are ****, just like it was when we were paying for cable T V. When the recession pushed me into early retirement the first thing we did was cut off our cable service and we get along fine without it.

of all the taxes the tv licence fee is pretty good VFM from my perspective, the balance that the BBC News service offers with its desire to appear impartial as much as possible has far reaching effects on the whole content for profit media industry, resulting in all broadcasters shooting higher with standards across the boards than they would if the BBC were not there..

The licence fee works out at £2:79 a week which i don't think is excessive, i hate adverts with a vengeance so for me its worth the fee.

The licence fee works out at �£2:79 a week which i don't think is excessive, i hate adverts with a vengeance so for me its worth the fee.

All I watch on BBC is the news, and that is never up to much and biased... does a day ever go by without them linking something or other to 'climate change'? But I agree with you about adverts elsewhere, it's almost getting to the point where the adverts are the programmes, with the actual shows being fillers. Can't win, can we?

All I watch on BBC is the news, and that is never up to much and biased... does a day ever go by without them linking something or other to 'climate change'? But I agree with you about adverts elsewhere, it's almost getting to the point where the adverts are the programmes, with the actual shows being fillers. Can't win, can we?

I prefer BBC news in the morning before i go to work (because they have no adverts) i really cannot do with the ITV's version, i also regularly watch MOTD and Question Time and a few other programmes SWMBO is a soap fan and also likes Master Chef type programmes so for the equivalent of a pint of chemical water in the local (which we no longer do) we get a weeks worth of entertainment which when you look at it that way isn't bad value. .

Paying for a license to watch T V boggles my mind.
Not all that long ago when the U.S. government had the switch to digital they ordered the networks to keep broadcasting free over the air T V programs. At my house we get over four dozen channels. Most of which are ****, just like it was when we were paying for cable T V. When the recession pushed me into early retirement the first thing we did was cut off our cable service and we get along fine without it.

You mean you didn't lose direction in life and found other things to do with your time ? That's not the cable tv salesman said would happen....:lol::twisted::whistle:

You still have licences there?

Most of us here watch most T.V. illegally using a Raspberry Pi, hacked AppleTV or similar running Kodi. And we have never had licences! It's just the Free To Air and Cable have gone crazy with ads.

I prefer BBC news in the morning before i go to work (because they have no adverts) i really cannot do with the ITV's version, i also regularly watch MOTD and Question Time and a few other programmes SWMBO is a soap fan and also likes Master Chef type programmes so for the equivalent of a pint of chemical water in the local (which we no longer do) we get a weeks worth of entertainment which when you look at it that way isn't bad value. .
I much prefer BBC for that reason also,I cannot stand the adverts, I would pay more just for that (don't tell them) itv in the morning,win £50,000 and a dream holiday for your poor family who are sitting watching this eating cheap cereal and will be happy with a weekend at a caravan. ********

I rarely watch television, at least not live. I'd rather pay my £10 monthly fee for NowTV than watch the s**t they air on standard TV. And not to mention it's advert free!

You still have licences there?

Yes but as i pointed out in another thread the licence is for the TV not what is on it.

Why do I need a TV Licence?

A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This could be on any device, including TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes, DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders. This applies regardless of which television channels a person receives or how those channels are received. The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC.

The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). It is an offence to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on any channel and on any broadcast platform (terrestrial, satellite, cable and the internet) or download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer without a valid TV Licence.

Section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they’re being shown on television without a TV Licence.

Section 365 of that Act requires that a person to whom a TV Licence is issued must pay a fee to the BBC. The nature and amount of this fee is set out in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended).

Since 1991, the BBC, in its role as the relevant licensing authority, has been responsible for collecting and enforcing the TV Licence fee. The BBC contracts companies to do this work under the BBC trade mark ‘TV Licensing’. The BBC (and contractors acting on its behalf) must comply with the law in collecting and enforcing the licence fee. The BBC Charter further requires that these arrangements be appropriate, proportionate and efficient.

Oh well, install the necessary software on a computer, tablet, etc. and get a bloody big monitor!

[I can't help it, I'm still getting Young Ones flashbacks.]

Solved the whole thing many years ago. Since leaving my parents home I've never had it TV. It's all sh**e anyway - I know, I watched enough of it when I was a kid and I don't think it's improved any since then.

Apparently I'm not alone, something like 5% of households don't bother with it either.

Back