Flaked Rye

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Is there any use for flaked rye in brewing? After @gunge 's posts about using corn flakes and barley flakes from holland and barrett I had I look in there today to see what they sold. I noticed they rye flakes as well as a barley flakes

Is there any use for flaked rye in brewing? After @gunge 's posts about using corn flakes and barley flakes from holland and barrett I had I look in there today to see what they sold. I noticed they rye flakes as well as a barley flakes
don't forget that also sell LME in various sizes, and you can get a points card which with their various discounts will often give you a 25% discount:thumb:

I did a search and quite a bit came up on the American forums. The short answer seems to be yes. It won't have much/any diastatic power but there seems to be a view that it will give a stronger earthy/spicy rye flavour than rye malt. I've only used rye malt once, in an IPA with mainly dank/resinous hops and I really enjoyed it as an alternative to the juicy fruit IPA style, so I imagine flaked rye would have worked there too.

I did a search and quite a bit came up on the American forums. The short answer seems to be yes. It won't have much/any diastatic power but there seems to be a view that it will give a stronger earthy/spicy rye flavour than rye malt. I've only used rye malt once, in an IPA with mainly dank/resinous hops and I really enjoyed it as an alternative to the juicy fruit IPA style, so I imagine flaked rye would have worked there too.

Thanks for that. I'm not much of an IPA fan but I could probably put it in some sort of pale ale. It would defiantely worth a punt in a 5L stove topper

Definitely. I think you'd get a bit of flavour and some body from it so would do well as an experimental alternative in pretty much any malt forward ale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmmm interesting as I purchased rye malt a few weeks ago so as to try and clone the Shipyard Rye Pale Ale.May see if our local H&B stock it.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Watch out, if these flaked cereals are sold as breakfast cereals then they could be fortified with iron. At a meeting of my local HB club they discussed brewing with a variety of breakfast cereals and said that they all ended up with a very strong metallic taste to them after fermentation.

They were using the cereals to make up about half of the grist so a smaller quantity may not be as bad but they said that the beers were basically undrinkable.

Watch out, if these flaked cereals are sold as breakfast cereals then they could be fortified with iron. At a meeting of my local HB club they discussed brewing with a variety of breakfast cereals and said that they all ended up with a very strong metallic taste to them after fermentation.

They were using the cereals to make up about half of the grist so a smaller quantity may not be as bad but they said that the beers were basically undrinkable.
Were these from Holland and Barrett?

Just had a look on their website and no iron showing up at all.

H&B cornflakes..jpg

"Possibly not a bio available form of iron".
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ahlawrQHeA[/ame]

That's exactly what I thought with them being a health food shop.Needs further investigation me thinks.

Not sure if you have Waitrose in NI but I was in their today getting a free coffee so I had a look to see what sort of cornflakes they do, and the sold addative free corn flakes in there. Try whatever the upmarket supermaket is in NI and I bet they have some hippy cornflakes in there too

Not sure if you have Waitrose in NI but I was in their today getting a free coffee so I had a look to see what sort of cornflakes they do, and the sold addative free corn flakes in there. Try whatever the upmarket supermaket is in NI and I bet they have some hippy cornflakes in there too
The hippiest would be M&S foods and it's down the road so shall give it a try.Cheers.

Gerry

@gerryjo I've also discoed rice crispies can be used in brewing. Puffed rice is essentially the same as torrified rice flakes, which do the same thing in a beer as flaked maize. You'll want the stuff from the hippy shop again rather than kellogs

@gerryjo I've also discoed rice crispies can be used in brewing. Puffed rice is essentially the same as torrified rice flakes, which do the same thing in a beer as flaked maize. You'll want the stuff from the hippy shop again rather than kellogs
Hi fantastic as the should open the doors to a few test brews.Maybe @Clint can join in with his handbag and highheels......

Gerry

I've used flaked Rye from a health food shop in a Rye saison and it came out nice. The recipe had 1.5 kilos of malted Rye but I used 500g flaked and 1kg malted.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back