I've knocked my hop filter off with my paddle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byron

Reaction score
On a night brew with my Grainfather and think I've knocked the hop filter off with my paddle.

Any suggestions to make the cooling and transfer to FV easier and reduce the risk of clogging the pump?

Personally, I would just syphon the wort out of the Grainfather like I used to do before I fitted a tap to my boiler.

I used to tie a sanitised hop-bag around the bottom of the syphon tube to minimise the amount of hops that were transferred but I now use the system in the photograph for all syphoning requirements.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Copper Syphon Tube.jpg

That's a good idea! Shame I didn't think of it!

Here's what I ended up doing...

I ran the wort through the pump and chiller and tried to restrict the flow into the pump with my paddle (this was futile). I used a sieve over my FV and this did a good job at catching any trub which went through.

Surprise, surprise about 3/4 of the way through the flow stopped.

In my panic/tiredness/frustration I decided to tip the remainder of the wort straight through the sieve and into the FV. This took the temp from 26 to 39!!! I'd already made my yeast starter so waited about an hour and the temp dropped to 37. I pitched the starter anyway.

Now in the cold light of day the better option would to have been to ditch the starter, seal the wort, leave overnight and pitch a new starter in the morning when the temp was right. It's only got down to 32 as I type.

Couple of questions:

I reckon I'll be able to dismantle the GF to clean out the pump. Anyone done this before and have any tips?

Secondly have I screwed the beer by pitching to high temp and can I do anything to salvage it?

It's all good fun isn't it?!

I would try running some water back down the recirculation pipe, through the pump and back into the grainfather. That may well push out anything which has got clogged. It may well have been the ball valve at the top which has gotten blocked, this screws apart quite easily, just watch for the ball and spring when unscrewing it.

So finished dismantling, cleaning and reassembling the GF. Gotta say it was extremely straightforward and had solved the blockage.

As for the beer time will tell...

Fingers crossed the beer will turn out ok.

I had the same happen a few years ago ( not with gf) and had to bail out the boiler into the cv via a sieve. I had a counter flow chiller system so couldn't use it so left to cool overnight before adding yeast. Turned out one of the best beers I have brewed.

As a thought could yo have bailed/tipped the wort into the fv, refitted the filter, returned wort to gf and carry on as if nothing had happened :)

As a thought could yo have bailed/tipped the wort into the fv, refitted the filter, returned wort to gf and carry on as if nothing had happened :)

Yes that would have also been a better option than what I actually did! *facepalm*

I did the exact same thing last night. I did a 3 min whirlpool then i ran the pump at max and filtered through a sanitized hop spider.

Update! With the weather today temp is at 28.3 and to say fermentation is aggressive is an understatement! Foam is coming through the airlock. So I have emptied the fridge in the garage and put it in there to bring the temp down then will switch the fridge off and that will hopefully slow it down. Also a very fruity smell (like peaches).

Anyway if when it's done it's a bit iffy I'm going to rack to a secondary and dry hop to try to disguise any off flavours.

Any advice or opinion on my approach welcomed as I really am making it up as I go!

Any advice or opinion on my approach welcomed as I really am making it up as I go!

Your approach and subsequent actions are within a couple of degrees of how most of us started ... :whistle:

... and most of us are still making it up as we go along so don't worry! :doh:

The only advice I can give you is:

1. Make a diary of what you did this time. This is Beer 01/17 and if (by the grace of God) it turns out to be a great pint you can not only tell us how to do it but you can repeat the process.

2. Start your next brew before the end of this week and make a Checklist of all the things you wish to do. (The aim is to reach "Critical Mass" whereby you have enough beer ready to drink that you can relax and plan future brews at your leisure.)

3. Relax. You are now a Home Brewer. Be proud of your success. It will get a lot better and by Christmas (*) you should be happy with what you are producing.

If, on the other hand, the experiences of the last few days have traumatised you so badly that you wish to give up brewing I will happily give you a fiver to take the Grainfather off your hands! :whistle:

(*) This may be Christmas 2037 depending on how much of a perfectionist you become! :lol: :lol:

So this is becoming a little blog about my progress. Thought anyone else might benefit or if anyone is keen to find out how it turns out.

After moving to the fridge it took roughly a day to get to 20.5c where it has been now for a day. The airlock has also slowed considerably. I decided to take a gravity reading and it is at 1.011 target was 1.013 so reckon it's done.

Plan is to leave until Saturday and move to a secondary with dry hop for about 10-14 days and kegging for the first time.

The sample tasted absolutely fine. The dry hops were only really going to try to disguise off flavours but have them now so gonna do it anyway.

Oh and I've bought a hop spider for my GF!

So this is becoming a little blog about my progress. Thought anyone else might benefit or if anyone is keen to find out how it turns out.

After moving to the fridge it took roughly a day to get to 20.5c where it has been now for a day. The airlock has also slowed considerably. I decided to take a gravity reading and it is at 1.011 target was 1.013 so reckon it's done.

Plan is to leave until Saturday and move to a secondary with dry hop for about 10-14 days and kegging for the first time.

The sample tasted absolutely fine. The dry hops were only really going to try to disguise off flavours but have them now so gonna do it anyway.

Oh and I've bought a hop spider for my GF!
I would take advantage and do a dry run on your kegging to iron out any mishaps that may occur prior to transfer as you never know what could happen....:whistle:

Latest posts

Back