Should I buy a grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breameister

Reaction score
Been looking into AG brewing and want to do it properly after brewing kits many years ago that were awful. Have invested already in the 7 gal ss brewtech brewmaster and maxicool 110 and have the temp control +/- .5 degree so removed the temp issue variable. The beer kits brewed are pretty good even though very young. To keep things simple should I get the grainfather.
All advice welcome.

Been looking into AG brewing and want to do it properly after brewing kits many years ago that were awful. Have invested already in the 7 gal ss brewtech brewmaster and maxicool 110 and have the temp control +/- .5 degree so removed the temp issue variable. The beer kits brewed are pretty good even though very young. To keep things simple should I get the grainfather.
All advice welcome.

Depends on how much free time you get, I got an all in 1 system but not the grainfather. I went for the ace brewery thing with programmable steps which I have only used twice so far but it's done me proud so far and many others on the forum

Hope this helps

Depends on how much free time you get, I got an all in 1 system but not the grainfather. I went for the ace brewery thing with programmable steps which I have only used twice so far but it's done me proud so far and many others on the forum

Hope this helps
Thanks I am looking at my options but have not looked at the ace yet.
More research required me thinks.

I would say fork out a bit more and get a Braumeister, they are worth the extra money. The heating element is round the side rather than underneath so there's no chance of burning the wort. There is a tap on the side which helps drain it. You can take the pump apart to ensure there aren't any pieces of grain or hop stuck in there. The wort is pumped upwards through the malt tube rather than down over the top which ensures the grain doesn't get compacted and that there are no clumps. Also I hear that Braumeister have very good customer service and are helpful when parts go wrong or break.

I would say fork out a bit more and get a Braumeister, they are worth the extra money. The heating element is round the side rather than underneath so there's no chance of burning the wort. There is a tap on the side which helps drain it. You can take the pump apart to ensure there aren't any pieces of grain or hop stuck in there. The wort is pumped upwards through the malt tube rather than down over the top which ensures the grain doesn't get compacted and that there are no clumps. Also I hear that Braumeister have very good customer service and are helpful when parts go wrong or break.

They look wonderful but at 3 times the cost I don't think I can justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look wonderful but at 3 times the cost I don't think I can justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A large pan, mesh bag and gas burner make great beer:thumb:

This is it.

It doesn't matter how much money you throw at a project or the equipment to make your beer, it's your determination and enthusiasm that makes great beer.

Having fresh high quality ingredients a spot of hygiene and some nice equipment does go along way tho....

Get one if you can afford one they're fab! Or an ACE. There's absolutely no need for one to brew good beer but they do make a brewday easy enjoyable and relatively stress free, and they're shiny and everyone loves a shiny:tongue:

I went from doing 5 kits 10 years ago, straight to a Grainfather 6 months ago.
It took me 5 brews to get used to it but happy with my purchase and making good beer.

I went from doing 5 kits 10 years ago, straight to a Grainfather 6 months ago.
It took me 5 brews to get used to it but happy with my purchase and making good beer.

That's the he may mIt's important bit - you as the brewers happiness and a relatively stress free brew :)

All advice welcome.

I spent a year doing BIAB before getting an all-in-one system, but I wish I got one sooner. If you can afford one then go for it. It will give you reproducibility and control over the mash.

Love my Grainfather but as others have said...YOU are the brewer. Get what works for you.

p.s ok buy a grainfather, you wont regret it

Are they better then an ACE or Bulldog all in 1 tho ?

The way all the systems work are the same and they are all of similar capacity.
So to give an opinion on that would have to be by someone who has used all the systems.
Also the ACE and the Bulldog need to be around a bit longer to know there true reliability.
Grainfather is pretty reliable although I did see a guy had an element pack up at about 130 brews, if the element is replaceable than that is not an issue.

I may be an `old stick in the mud' but I can't really see any advantage of these systems over just a normal 3 tier system or boiler and BIAB. Ok, a normal brewday for me (BIAB) is about 5 hours, but at least 3 hours of that is sitting in my chair drinking homebrew while things cook.
It just seems to me that the more complicated the equipment is the more there is to go wrong and the more secret little corners for infections to hide in.

I would highly recommend the Grainfather. If you're going to take the leap, please make sure you get the latest model which comes with the new Bluetooth Connect box. You can build your own recipes and save them in the Grainfather app. It makes brew days really straight forward as the GF tells you how much water to mash with, how many litres to sparge with and also beeps to remind you on hop additions.

I went from a cool box mash tun & burco boiler to the GF and haven't regretted it one bit! Just the fact that when cooling the wort at the end of the boil, you can run it straight into a fermenter. It still amazes me that it goes from 100C down to 25 - 30C by running through one hose for a few seconds :)

P.s, if you have the funds, also buy a Graincoat/jacket, Hop Spider & GF cleaner. from start to finish (including cleaning and packing up) it takes me 4 hours to brew, with no stress!

Either way, what ever equipment you buy/use, you will always drink the beer you've made.

Where did you buy your Grainfather from if you don't mind me asking?

I bought it from The Home Brew Shop in Farnborough, which is my nearest home brew outlet.
I paid £595 with the old controller, which I am happy with. I don't really want to complicate the process with Bluetooth etc.
I just like to print out the recipe from Brewers Friend, use a kitchen timer and pen to mark off times and editions etc.

Back