Should I buy a grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought it from The Home Brew Shop in Farnborough, which is my nearest home brew outlet.
I paid �£595 with the old controller, which I am happy with. I don't really want to complicate the process with Bluetooth etc.
I just like to print out the recipe from Brewers Friend, use a kitchen timer and pen to mark off times and editions etc.

Am I right in saying that the newer model uses a PID rather than STC for temperature control?

I may be an `old stick in the mud' but I can't really see any advantage of these systems over just a normal 3 tier system or boiler and BIAB. Ok, a normal brewday for me (BIAB) is about 5 hours, but at least 3 hours of that is sitting in my chair drinking homebrew while things cook.
It just seems to me that the more complicated the equipment is the more there is to go wrong and the more secret little corners for infections to hide in.

I was of the same opinion until I saw one in action at a local club brewday. I was really impressed with how neat and compact it is and how easily cleaned. It would be a good space saver which is more of an advantage to me than the time saving aspect. Also the ability to step mash without faffing about with a herms system is a big draw for me.

With the old controller you have to switch between 800w and 2000w, so it's a bit more hands on.
The new one is just left on 2000w and it regulates itself.

The way all the systems work are the same and they are all of similar capacity.
So to give an opinion on that would have to be by someone who has used all the systems.
Also the ACE and the Bulldog need to be around a bit longer to know there true reliability.
Grainfather is pretty reliable although I did see a guy had an element pack up at about 130 brews, if the element is replaceable than that is not an issue.

How much was he brewing ? I wish I had more free time that didn't consist of having to tidy the garden up for summer or doing odds'n'sods around the house :doh:

Am I right in saying that the newer model uses a PID rather than STC for temperature control?

Yes the new controller is a PID controller and seems very well setup. I've had my GF for a year now and very pleased with it. Like others have said, bags and buckets work. But the GF setup is very neat, compact and convenient. I got mine at Getbrewing and got a very good deal. I added the new controller when it became available and have the new Grainfather Conical arriving today.

Yes, you should. If you can afford it, buy one. If you can't afford it, save up for one. They make life so much easier if you haven't got a lot of space.

Latest posts

Back