Hydrometer or refractometer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here's my dilemma.
As some of you are aware I have been having troubles with my lucky 7 brew not attenuating down far enough from 1.048 to 1.024.
Now I have been using a refractometer on the Brix scale which my missus kindly got me at Christmas and everything seemed fine until I had this issue.
On the Brix scale my OG was 12 and even checking it now it's showing 6 although if I use my trusted hydrometer I'm getting 1.012 giving an ABV of around 4.7.
I've checked calibration using ordinary cold tap water with a reading of zero/1.000 on both.
Doing my but in as I was really interested on what this shall be like.
Any thoughts?
Cheers Gerry.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

are you taking into account the alcohol with the refractometer ? The reading has to be converted when using on alcohol :thumb:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2013/...rrectly-for-maximum-accuracy-in-home-brewing/

I use a hydrometer for anything post fermentation as I cant be bothered xD
Just had a brief glimpse at this and I might just stick to the hydrometer as this is a lot simpler although I will delve a bit deeper with the correction factor.
Cheers for that bigbud78

Just had a brief glimpse at this and I might just stick to the hydrometer as this is a lot simpler although I will delve a bit deeper with the correction factor.
Cheers for that bigbud78

I find its ready handy when brewing, seeing what runnings are and OG ect. Because you use such a small amount of liquid it cools really quickly so you get a much more accurate reading, once I've pitched yeast thou I just use a hydrometer xD

Hydrometers smash easily and don't like being put in hot liquid.
You need to be a bit clumsy to break a refractometer.
Hydrometers need a big (250ml?) sample in a sample jar. Don't forget to sanitise everything.
Refractometers need a sample that can be extracted with a small pipette.
No contest.
But you must remember to convert refractometer readings of fermenting wort (to allow for alcohol). Refractometers with SG scales are pointless (except for unfermented wort).

Peebee said it best. I haven't gone back to my hydrometer for over a year now. I just look for the spread from OG to FG. Tells me a lot. And if you brew in a scale of around 12 brix each time, you get real used to seeing the numbers and understanding them. It just takes time. Get used to your style and equipment.

Cheers folks, clarifies a lot for me at present so shall do a bit more reading on these.👍👍👍👍

Back