Kegerator tap holes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_rawdin

Regular.
Reaction score
So I'm going to be building a kegerator soon from a second hand fridge and wondered what type of drill bit to use to drill the holes in the door. I have some of the below drill bits in different sizes but I think these are designed to be used on wood. Will these work on a metal fridge door or do I need a similar style metal drill bit?

2017-06-22 09.12.13.png

should be fine as long as you take it slow and put a little oil on the teeth, its only thin stuff.

No you're fine as that's a multi-purpose holesaw for wood or metal.
When drilling metal just slow it down to where it's just turning as you apply pressure otherwise the heat generated will destroy the teeth on the hole saw.
Also drill a pilot hole with a smaller bit.

Gerry

I had the same bit when I did mine. It wouldn't go through metal as it was for plastic and wood only. Went to the hardware store and bought one for metal and it went straight through. I used the plasic/wood bit from the inside of the door. The drill bit did actually go through the metal size. I then swapped to the metal bit and bored from the outside.

1. The metal boring creates a lot of heat (do not touch) and
2. A lot of rough edges, do not rub your hand over.
3. Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back