Thermometers and such.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got to thinking about the variety of temperature measuring devices that I use for brewing and other things after another Post asked about the accuracy of the "strips" that can be stuck on the side of FVs.

I decided to check all of mine out at the same time and was pleased with the result below:

o Auriol Weather Station (kept in the garage to let me know why I am freezing or sweating) is @ 23.8 degrees.

o Inkbird STC !000 (used for fridge control) is @ 24.2 degrees.

o Plastic Strips (used for FV monitoring) are both @ 24 degrees.

o Kitchen Craft Probe (used to monitor Mash Temp) is @ 24 degrees.

o Digital Pen Thermometer (used to spot check my boiler) is at @ 23.8 degrees.

o Wilco Glass Thermometer (used to keep an eye on hot water) is @ 24 degrees (compensated for parallax error).

Thermometers.jpg

So, a MAXIMUM of 0.4 degrees deviation between ALL of the temperature measuring devices I use during Brewing! :thumb: :thumb:

Note:
The two Inkbird BBQ probes were both showing 26 degrees but this +2 degree error doesn’t concern me because they are mainly used to monitor meat cooking at temperatures well above the normal 100 degree maximum of brewing.

Great idea, but be careful - this could easily prompt the question 'do you really need all those different thermometers?'

That's interesting, especially given how many times I've read that you can't trust the stick-on strips to be accurate.

I think the bigger issue with the stick on strips is that the temperature in the middle of the fermenter is likely to be higher, and how much higher is going to vary from on fermenter to another depending on many different factors.

I check our three digital probes once a month for our food safety system, but at two points freezing(ish) with ice cubes and boiling(ish) All against my traceable 1*c glass thermometer. That I can interpolate(with magnifying glass) :-?

The best I have ever achieved was +/- 0.4*C. Our limit's of error are +/- 1.0*c though. Good to know I'm not that far off. Well done m8!:smile:

I think the bigger issue with the stick on strips is that the temperature in the middle of the fermenter is likely to be higher, and how much higher is going to vary from on fermenter to another depending on many different factors.

I don't see this as a problem because the internal convection of heat, the production of CO2 during fermentation (and the subsequent movement of the gas as it rises) plus the Brownian Motion of atoms will keep mixing the wort.

Even when using the Inkbird to control the fermentation temperature I stick the probe on the outside of the FV, just like the stick-on strips. :thumb:

Back