Hoegaarden extract recipe.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aitch

Reaction score
Apologies, I know this has been asked a million times and I've googled etc but just gotten myself confused. Does anybody have an extract recipe similar to Hoegaarden? I had a couple of pints last night and enjoyed it, so I guess I'm looking for a light white with that citrus/spice edge. Not got the gear for AG so looking for something based around wheat malt or a kit (Brewferm?) any help would be greatly received!

what you want is some wheat malt some light malt just add amounts to reach an og of around 1050 ,( i got that at 1.5 kg each) do a 50% wheat 50% light then you want to boil around 30g of orange peel for 15 mins in dme plus add crushed corriander seed 28g for 1 min of boil and if poss use wlp400 yeast , my best brew to date (although it was AG) also use saaz hops you want around 15 IBU so if you can boil around 6 litres of water for 60 mins with your dme you will prob need around 130g of hops (alot more than if you was boiling more water on a normal brew

Aitch

Really difficult to make a belgian wit clone from extract alone as these beers use raw wheat in the grist make up. It would at least have to be a partial mash with Diastatic extract and flaked wheat.

An american wheat clone is possible (like blue moon) that's pretty citrusy with wheat malt extract. To make it more citrusy use some styrian goldings. An amount of crushed coriander seeds and orange peel in the last 15mins of the boil. Use wit beer yeast. Ferment at ale temp 20C.

You don't have to use the curacao orange peel - I found it a bit too bitter. Normal orange peel with the pith (white stuff) removed is okay - make sure you use an organic orange as there is no wax on the skin. Wax kills the head in the final beer.

To get the cloudiness maybe chuck in some wheat flour - a couple of tablespoons?

Fantastic BBQ beers.

F

Two world class answers thanks gents. I havent got the gear (yet) to go full AG so will try first with a wheat extrace and light dme, I think I'll have a play and see what happens. I'll kick one off as soon as the Sundew comes out the FV!

Cheers Rob, I think I might just boil a few bits up and see what happens. I'll take a few notes and bottle the result.

Done this one this evening boiled 1.5kg of extra light barley and 1.5kg of wheat malt with 120g of saaz (in 6l water), added 50g of saaz and 50g of orange peel for the last 15mins and cracked coriander for the last 2 mins, sieved and pitched wl wit II yeast at 72c, we'll see what happens now! With a bit of luck it'll be ready for summer assuming summer ever comes!

i take it 72c is a typo as thats way too hot Aitch to pitch , should be more like 20c , maybe you mean 72f ?

pittsy said:
i take it 72c is a typo as thats way too hot Aitch to pitch , should be more like 20c , maybe you mean 72f ?

Lol yes 20deg c 72f ish! Bubbling away merrily this morning.

RobWalker said:
hang on, you boiled the barley and wheat? you are talking about extract and not grains right?

Yes Rob, Pittsy put me right, i had no intention of boiling any grains. It's quite an aggressive ferment, the krausen was up at the top of the fv this morning (3" and cleaner, whiter look to it than what Ive seen in the past) and its still up now and bubbling away like a good un.

Bloody things gone mad! 48hrs in and I've given up with the bubblers, once it all calms down I'll put one back. temp is a constant 20degC

Aitch said:
RobWalker said:
hang on, you boiled the barley and wheat? you are talking about extract and not grains right?

Yes Rob, Pittsy put me right, i had no intention of boiling any grains. It's quite an aggressive ferment, the krausen was up at the top of the fv this morning (3" and cleaner, whiter look to it than what Ive seen in the past) and its still up now and bubbling away like a good un.

Haha, good stuff. Wheat malt tends to be nuts. I really struggle to avoid boil overs when boiling it and fermentations are mad!

RobWalker said:
Aitch said:
RobWalker said:

Haha, good stuff. Wheat malt tends to be nuts. I really struggle to avoid boil overs when boiling it and fermentations are mad!

I managed the boiling like a pro, the fermenting however, it's like a fecking volcano!

pittsy said:
If this works out like it should you'll be brewing this again , wlp400 is a tasty result :thumb:

Am already making plans mate, smells lush and I've just finished my Wherry. i have some vino, 40pts of Sundew and some elderflower champers to drink, but other than that the cupboard is bare. Seems rude not to at least make some plans, as a Lincolnshire lad I'ma fan of Batemans, might have a look throug the recipe book...

Bottled this tonight at 1002. I had to check the measurement a couple of times as I've not had a beer go this low (good ingredients and great yeast?) anyhow I reckon an Og 0f 1038 has it out at 4.8 which is about bob on I reckon. Sample tasted nice and as long as it carbonates should be a winner! BBQ in August assuming we manage a sunny day or two :pray:

Thanks Pittsy for all your help mate, high hopes for this one!

i'll be looking forward to your results on testing day ( 4 weeks should do it, but may be nice after 3) i've just got this 1 fermenting myself (well an ag version with torrified wheat etc etc ) should be bottling this weekend if all goes well :D

Back