Splitting a Liquid Lager Yeast (temperature??)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisG

Reaction score
If i was going to split a lager yeast into a few batches, should i split at the fermentation temp of 10-12C?

Ale yeast is easy to split due to the temperatures, but i dont have anyway to control this just now.

Cheers :cheers:

I don't think you really need to worry too much about temperature for splitting yeast.
Usually you would decant the spent wort, and any funky flavours produced would be in the wort.

IMO, concentrate on maintaining a good, clean environment for the yeast to grow in......the aim here is to produce lots of healthy yeast for you to split.

ATB

Not too sure about that Mark, surely you want to be growing the yeast at the optimum temperature for that yeast, and lager yeasts are normally 12-14C

Mark is correct at this point you are growing yeast not making beer, so there is no real issue with running starters at room temperature . . .

There is line of thought that says your starter should be at the same temperature as fermentation, but as yeast do not acclimate to temperature I can't understand why this is so. (IOW they are wrong :D) . . . Obviously it's not a good idea to throw yeast into a wort that is much colder or warmer than they are currently at . . . but as the yeast doesn't read the warnings it's something I get away with on a regular basis . . .but I do pitch lots of healthy yeast.

Back