Frozen yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanvine

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have no doubt in my mind that Alemans statement, "Freezing yeast severely downgrades it's viability", is unfaultable!
None the less, I grew a culture from Weston's "Old Rosie" and froze it 9.5 months ago.
This week I used it in a starter for my latest TC, it was fully active in less than 36 hours!
I don't suppose it makes a deal of difference whether it's frozen for a day or a year, any damage is in the freezing.
I now have about 25 different yeasts in my freezer, all home grown, I think it's worth the gamble!

Edit = spelling error!

evanvine said:
I have no doubt in my mind that Alemans statement, "Freezing yeast severely downgrades it's viability", is unfaultable!
None the less, I grew a culture from Weston's "Old Rosie" and froze it 9.5 months ago.
This week I used it in a starter for my latest TC, it was fully active in less than 36 hours!
I don't suppose it makes a deal of difference whether it's frozen for a day or a year, any damage is in the freezing.
I now have about 25 different yeasts in my freezer, all home grown, I think it's worth the gamble!

Edit = spelling error!

Hurrah! what vessels/volumes do you freeze them in? I'm sick of paying >£2 packet of Nottingham when I've tons of it left in the bottom of each FV. Had a few issues with acetone type infections when I was saving stuff in the fridge for too long and abandoned the practice.
As an aside, when I used to freeze human neuroblastoma cells in liquid Nitrogen, I used to add a quantity of DMSO (Dimethyl Sulfoxide). This, I was told, somehow stabised the cell membranes and reduced their fracture by ice crystals.

I've heard that it's possible to protect the yeast cells using a mixture of water and glycerin, anyone else heard this and is it good practice? Anyone tried it?

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back