Experimental hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajhutch

Landlord.
Reaction score
On a bit of a whim when doing an order I chucked in a pack of each of these experimental hops that Geterbrewed are stocking.

http://www.geterbrewed.com/experimental-105-220-t90-hop-pellets-2016-alpha-rating-4.6/

http://www.geterbrewed.com/experimental-102-44-t90-hop-pellets-2016-alpha-rating-4.6/

It says that the aromas/flavours are elderflower, blackcurrant, tropical fruits, pineapple, pine and citrus. So quite a lot going on there. 4.6% alpha content.

I was thinking brew a fairly simple pale ale batch, bittered with something neutral, then split the batch and use these hops for a steep on the hot side and then a dry hop. Put them side by side and see how similar or different they are.

Before I started though I thought I'd see if anyone had used these hops and in what kind of beers?

I have used the 102/44 in an American amber style ale that is carbonating right now.

Looking forward to giving this a go!

I havent used those particular hops but they say their slovenian in their origin, and I have used most of the slovenian hops that GEB stock (seeing as I won them in a comp). One thing I noticed about the slovenian hops is that there quite mellow. So if you want a big hop hit use them late and use lots

I havent used those particular hops but they say their slovenian in their origin, and I have used most of the slovenian hops that GEB stock (seeing as I won them in a comp). One thing I noticed about the slovenian hops is that there quite mellow. So if you want a big hop hit use them late and use lots

Good stuff, thanks.

I've recently actually got round to using these hops. I made a very simple extract pale ale brewed to 1.048 OG and bittered to 25 IBU with Magnum hops. I then split it into 2 batches of 8 litres and added 30g of each of the above mentioned hops in the no-chill cube, fermented with CML US Pale and then a 70g dry hop of each after fermentation. So a lot of late/dry hops for the batch size, I figured I might as well look for maximum flavour profile from these as it was an experiment.

I bottled last night, here are my impressions from the samples. (To get the confirmation bias out in the open, I'd obviously previously read the GEB write up of the hops so knew roughly what I was expecting in terms of the tropical notes, I also knew they mentioned a berry though I couldn't remember which berry or which hop (it turns out to be both). I wrote my notes and then checked against the write up, I didn't identify the berry and I only found it in one hop.)

My impressions at bottling stage:
105/220 - sweet with tropical fruit, mainly mango and peach. Actually makes the beer taste quite sweet, though it is at 1.009 FG so it is probably hop flavour doing this. Hopefully carbonation will take a little edge off this in which case it could turn out to be a lovely drink.

102/44 - a little grassy aroma which could just be from the amount of hop material, and doesn't persist into the taste. I picked up blackberry and a tart citrus fruit flavour that I couldn't place precisely. This beer seems a little more refreshing at this stage as it doesn't have the sweet edge.

Will update further when the batches are carbed. I've got a mini keg and a few bottles of each.

Back