Aldi's Wild Bill's IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevey

Landlord.
Reaction score
This has become my go to while I have none of my own brews ready to drink. Especially as it's only �£1.19 a bottle.

Anyone got a recipe?

The blurb on the bottle states:

"Biscuity malt flavours, reinforced by spicy crystal rye malt and a sweet full bodied mouthfeel. Well balanced with big american hop aromas for a peppery lemon zest and tropical citrus fruit hit."

I'm not sure I can detect all that, but I know I like it.
So I'm thinking - Maris otter, Biscuit malt, (although I don't really get the biscuit taste), crystal rye. With citra hops in reasonably large quantities.

Any thoughts? Particularly on hop additions.

:cheers: Stevey

I have no meaningful insight to help, but I have subscribed to this thread as it is one that I will be looking to try to replicate when I get my brewing fu up a few levels.

This has become my go to while I have none of my own brews ready to drink. Especially as it's only ��£1.19 a bottle.

Anyone got a recipe?

The blurb on the bottle states:

"Biscuity malt flavours, reinforced by spicy crystal rye malt and a sweet full bodied mouthfeel. Well balanced with big american hop aromas for a peppery lemon zest and tropical citrus fruit hit."

I'm not sure I can detect all that, but I know I like it.
So I'm thinking - Maris otter, Biscuit malt, (although I don't really get the biscuit taste), crystal rye. With citra hops in reasonably large quantities.

Any thoughts? Particularly on hop additions.

:cheers: Stevey

Try Chinook, Ahtanum or Cascade. Citra is nice but not everything nice is Citra :mrgreen:

No idea on a recipe but I concur that Aldi Wild Bill IPA is very drinkable. Comes in a brown bottle too which is a bonus :)

Second , 3rd and forth what you say, wild bill is a fave of mine too, look forward to someone having a guess at recipe, who brews the original , can't we just ask

Cant really remember the colour or taste but pale malt, amber/biscuit malt and crystal rye sounds good. Maybe Centenial is in there? Goes well with ahtanum and chinook. Used those 3 in a Jaipur clone. Will pick up a bottle next time i go to aldi. Didn't realise they still sold it.

It’s Marston’s that brew it for Aldi. Their write up for it says; pale ale biscuity malt flavour reinforced with spicy crystal rye malt with a sweet full bodied mouth feel. Well balanced with big American hop aromas for a peppery lemon zest and a tropical fruit hit.

As mentioned above, it's Marstons who brew it for Aldi. Can't imagine its a million miles away from one of their own IPA's. Must say it is one of my go to bottles in Aldi, big hoppy flavour!

I've decided to go with this:
Maris Otter 4.190kg
Rye malt 1.077kg
crystal malt 359g
Caramalt 239g
torrified wheat 120g.

90 min mash @ 68C

Columbus 15g @60 mins
centennial 15g @10 mins
cascade 15g @ 10 mins

Plus 20g each of columbus. cascade, centennial and citra dry hop after 5 days of fermentation.
US-05 yeast.

I'm using 18% Rye malt, which seems to be an average amount for rye recipes.
Also this will be a bit stronger than Wild Bill's, mainly to give a better balance value.
I chose the hops to fit in with the flavour profile on the label, but just guessed at the timing and amounts.

I tried a bottle of this the other day off the back of this thread [emoji106] really nice drop!

Maris Otter 4.190kg
Rye malt 1.077kg
crystal malt 359g
Caramalt 239g
torrified wheat 120g.

90 min mash @ 68C

Columbus 15g @60 mins
centennial 15g @10 mins
cascade 15g @ 10 mins

Plus 20g each of columbus. cascade, centennial and citra dry hop after 5 days of fermentation.
US-05 yeast.

Also this will be a bit stronger than Wild Bill's, mainly to give a better balance value.
I chose the hops to fit in with the flavour profile on the label, but just guessed at the timing and amounts.

Keep us updated how it goes. If it’s close this is one that I will definitely pinch!

I went to Aldi to get a couple of bottles for tonight, and guess what? No bloody Wild Bill's!
Me and my big mouth.
So I'm drinking Courage Directors, it's a really nice pint, much better than Wild Bill's; and it's sold everywhere. So there's no need for you to go to Aldi and buy Wild Bill's anymore. (No sarcasm intended - honest).
:nono::doh:

Maris Otter 4.190kg
Rye malt 1.077kg
crystal malt 359g
Caramalt 239g
torrified wheat 120g.

90 min mash @ 68C

Columbus 15g @60 mins
centennial 15g @10 mins
cascade 15g @ 10 mins

US-05 yeast.

I've made a couple of slight changes to this:

Firstly I've decided on a stepped mash 50C for an hour, and then mashing overnight starting at 68C.

I couldn't get US-05 so I will be using danstar west coast.

I thought I had cascade but none left so will substitute them for Amarillo. I've also upped the columbus to 20g at the start of the boil.

I've also followed strange-steve's beginners guide to water treatment, for the first time, and got my alkalinity down to around 20ppm and added 6g of gypsum (our water comes out of the tap at 300ppm:eek:).

So quite excited about this one, although it will be almost crimbo before I sample it.

Just bought a few bottles of Wild Bill's to try, not bad but I'm not too sure about the slight metallic aftertaste.
However the price has dropped since this thread and is now £1.09 for 500mls, so you can't go too far wrong

Cant really remember the colour or taste but pale malt, amber/biscuit malt and crystal rye sounds good. Maybe Centenial is in there? Goes well with ahtanum and chinook. Used those 3 in a Jaipur clone. Will pick up a bottle next time i go to aldi. Didn't realise they still sold it.
Can I ask what your jaipur clone recipe was, it's one of my favourite beers.

Sorry for slight thread hijack!

Back