Boris Johnston

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, he's consistently voted in line with those beliefs. Contrast that with Tim Farron, who despite believing homosexuality is a sin (despite his endless attempts to dance around the question) consistently voted for gay marriage.

I don’t think this will go away quietly

225C16E2-456C-4189-8935-159C08667E0A.jpg

Rees-Mogg is fairly selective about which parts of the bible influence his voting. For instance, when voting again and again for benefit cuts he didn’t consider Proverbs 14:31

“He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker, but he who honors him has mercy on the needy.”

It depends entirely on why they are poor. Those who cannot be arsed to find work ( there's a few on our street who are physically fitter and younger than me and have told me straight that they can't be bothered) should get zero and live in the hedge bottom. I actually hate these oxygen-stealers that I am feeding and housing. Anyone who sorts these types out will do for me. I reckon JC would only increase their numbers, the way he comes across.

It depends entirely on why they are poor. Those who cannot be arsed to find work ( there's a few on our street who are physically fitter and younger than me and have told me straight that they can't be bothered) should get zero and live in the hedge bottom. I actually hate these oxygen-stealers that I am feeding and housing. Anyone who sorts these types out will do for me. I reckon JC would only increase their numbers, the way he comes across.

I'm assuming Proverbs 14:32 deals with that but I'm not familiar with it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rees-Mogg is fairly selective about which parts of the bible influence his voting. For instance, when voting again and again for benefit cuts he didn’t consider Proverbs 14:31

“He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker, but he who honors him has mercy on the needy.”

Perhaps he felt that Proverbs 13:4 was more appropriate for guiding legislation:
"A sluggard’s appetite is never filled, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied".

When it comes to those who constantly say they are looking for work but never seem to find it, we can find guidance in Proverbs 14:23:
"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty".

After all, the moral duty to work rather than relying on handouts from the state is made clear in 1 Timothy 5:8:
"Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever".

I may be an atheist but there are few things more satisfying than throwing Bible verses back in the faces of believers...

I may be an atheist but there are few things more satisfying than throwing Bible verses back in the faces of believers...

Strange how some people get their pleasure in life.

Any news on Boris?

I'm not a believer. I just Googled 'bible poverty'. But well done.

By the way if we're point scoring, I asked you for a source on some illegal immigration figures you 'quoted' a few weeks ago, I'm sure you're working on it with the same fervour you looked up bible quotes. Cheers.

Strange how some people get their pleasure in life.

Any news on Boris?

If you don't own a TV you do what you can to get by.

I think Johnson is going to survive. Priti Patel was handed the pearl handled revolver and her scandal and the ensuing clamour has pushed Johnson down the news bulletins, taking the pressure off a bit. Patel's breach was systemically more serious.

I wonder whether the "moral obligation to work" will still apply in 100 years when machines are doing all work? We will either be in a Star Trek based world where everyone is equal and working for the desire to do so and learn and grow or (more likely) the millionaires will be trillionaires and everyone else will be scrabbling to survive.

I hate this narrative that if you work hard your life will be able to have everything you wanted. There can only be so many chiefs, we need indians in our society and how do you motivate someone to be an indian? what do they get out of it?!

Just to make it clear though, I work 45+ hours a week as a Sales Manager so I "contribute" but I understand that other people haven't got the lucky breaks that I have....

The greatest lie working people have ever been sold is that you can do anything and be anyone if you just work hard enough.

In reality, you can be the hardest worker out there and if you never get the opportunity then you will never "make it". Equally, you can be born with all the advantages in life and have opportunity thrown at you left right and centre, and if you can't recognise an opportunity when it's staring you in the face and/or won't work hard enough to take advantage of it, you still won't make it.

In reality you need all three. Opportunity, the ability to recognise that Opportunity, and the work ethic to capitalise on that opportunity.

Perhaps he felt that Proverbs 13:4 was more appropriate for guiding legislation:
"A sluggard’s appetite is never filled, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied".

When it comes to those who constantly say they are looking for work but never seem to find it, we can find guidance in Proverbs 14:23:
"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty".

After all, the moral duty to work rather than relying on handouts from the state is made clear in 1 Timothy 5:8:
"Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever".

Pathetic...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back