Robots.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AI and Artificial Super Intelligence (ASI) is an interest of mine and it's quite funny when people say "robots will take all jobs!" As someone else said here, they've been saying that 50+ years.

If you want to get a better idea at what ASI and "automation" means I'd strongly recommend reading this two part article https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html. It's long but a very gripping read.

Yes, I agree, great article. I am also very interested in AI and ASI and work in prcossessing of the new generation of biological datasets.

Just to summarise and cheer up my Friday: what’s your argument for developments in automation and increasing processing power not having an effect on jobs?

Yes, I agree, great article. I am also very interested in AI and ASI and work in prcossessing of the new generation of biological datasets.

Just to summarise and cheer up my Friday: what’s your argument for developments in automation and increasing processing power not having an effect on jobs?

That's really interesting. I'm retraining as a data scientist and biological datasets is one area which I'm thinking about getting more involved in. My father in law is a professor of immunology and builds a lot of data models to see how certain diseases and drugs affect the immune system. It's really interesting work.

The economy and technology evolves meaning what's being sold, and the way it's sold, is forever changing. This means that as some manual and repetitive work gets automated, other jobs open up. If we compare today to 1980s, we have more automation in certain industries, but we also have the internet. This has opened up a ton of different jobs such as web developers, SEO consultants, engineers to lay fibre optics to everyone's houses, server administrators etc.

As the economy keeps changing, let's take one of those newly created roles: server administrator. A lot of this job can be automated. Error detection, if done by software as opposed to a person, can probably be more accurate. The software can flag to the admin an error, and what the error is, and the admin can run debug code. This frees the admin's time up to work on making the server run more efficiently.

the TLDR is when new technology comes along, more often than not it brings jobs with it. These jobs may not have previously existed, but they are jobs.

The rich will get richer and more powerful, and the workers will get poorer and will eventually become irrelevant.

In the past, automation has created jobs as well as replaced them, but as we head towards the 'singularity', technology is becoming so advanced that more and more jobs can be replaced.

It is happening. Maybe not as fast as some have suggested. But it ill happen.

Eventually the rich will be able to isolate themselves from labour, and generate capital without needing workers. No wage and no threat of strike action makes the workforce irrelevant.

What happens to the ex-workers grumbling at the factory gates and getting restless? Maybe the rich will decide to redistribute their wealth, and will be happy to pay for the workers to do nothing. Or maybe someone will decide that they are a nuisance and that the world would be more profitable without them.

Sorry, that is grim picture isn't it.
I have been reading 'Four Futures' by Peter Frase - it is terrifying.
Let's not worry though, the experts may be wrong.

Also reading your description is what Karl Marx pictured happening. The owners of the means of production will get smaller and smaller creating a huge proletariat. Automation is a necessary step before we live in a communist paradise (Marx's words, not mine).

Also reading your description is what Karl Marx pictured happening. The owners of the means of production will get smaller and smaller creating a huge proletariat. Automation is a necessary step before we live in a communist paradise (Marx's words, not mine).

Cool. I’m Looking forward to living in a communist paradise.

Two things, firstly I remember Tomorrows World in the 70's where they told me technology would make me a man of leisure and computers and robots would be doing all the work and my biggest problem would be what to do with all my leisure time.........Lying Bar Stewards!!! Secondly, I read an interview with Bill Gates and his suggestion is that every time a company replaces a human with a robot then you tax the robot. The company have to pay the equivalent tax and National Insurance or whatever contributions that the human would have made and that funds the economy.

Two things, firstly I remember Tomorrows World in the 70's where they told me technology would make me a man of leisure and computers and robots would be doing all the work and my biggest problem would be what to do with all my leisure time.........Lying Bar Stewards!!! Secondly, I read an interview with Bill Gates and his suggestion is that every time a company replaces a human with a robot then you tax the robot. The company have to pay the equivalent tax and National Insurance or whatever contributions that the human would have made and that funds the economy.

If the robots are paying national insurance would they be entitled to a pension?

If robots are doing all the jobs, including of course designing and building new robots, then what will they need humans for?

If you want to predict the future then get the top 100 minds together to give us their opinions. What they come up with definitely wont happen so whatever is left will be the right forecast.

If the robots are paying national insurance would they be entitled to a pension?

But then they’ll need to build more and more robots to look after the old robots on their robot pensions, and the new cheaper robots will get all the robot jobs and the good solid working class British robots will get annoyed and have a robot referendum where they’d decide to leave their international robot guild and now my head hurts.

A couple of posts have mentioned "robots will take all jobs" but the OP said "In 20 to 40 years most of us will not be working" i do not know if he meant in the roles we have today or that there will be a lot less jobs requiring human input i hope its the former.

tHE FUTURE'S BRIGHT:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU-tuY0Z7nQ[/ame]

IF we want to compare our future to something, the closest comparison would probably be the Machine Stops by E.M. Forster.

Back