how me malting is going

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsey53

Reaction score
me and screamland have left the shores of blighty and are living in cyprus and turkey.
we dont have a LHBS around the corner so its improvisation all the way :wha:

we malt our own barley and keep in touch on progress , thankfully we have a few experts in the philipines and oz who have given great info on the subject.

buying feed grade barley for 10 euro for 25 kg is good news so far i have malted 20 kgs and brewed my first last week using 4 kgs (use 25% more) of home made,500g of my own malted wheat a bit of choc malt and amber malt and me last bit of fuggles i produced a respectable pint .

just done 3kgs of crystal malt by mashing green malt then drying and curing in oven ....results are looking good, just awaiting my delivery from usa northwest hops brewers bundle 2 1/2 pounds of 4 varieties for 20$ plus postage ...whatta deal and such great people too.
need to get brewing asap when me hops turn up :pray:
wash my yeast and get good results so far but i always get ripped off on postage charges from homebrew outfits in uk ..like 7.50£ for 5 packets of yeast and 100g of hops :rofl:
pics when i can work out how to post them :wha:

THAT is impressive! :thumb:

My dad has some farmland and has offered to plant some barley for me. It's the malting that scares me! Would love to see pics! Well done.

thanks slurp,
i just take 5 kgs of barley, then put in me mashtun ...add half a cap of chlorine and fill her up with luke warm water ,cleaning the chaff off the top and leaving to soak for 2 hours......then drain out and leave for 8 hours to breathe..........then same again......then they will start to chit.

remove to large homemade metal tray and spread evenly over tray,,,,
mine germinate to 75% of acrospire length of seed in about 2 days ...make sure to turn then over as often as you can but dont fuss too much , they do what nature intended them to do!!

dry them bfore they shoot out by the sun or like i do at the moment .place the tray over me storage rad. with a chair to support it, and hey malted barley , the room smells like a horlicks factory :D
will post pics soon

next to crushing the stuff,
making my mill
commng soon to an appartment near you :grin:

great work, i would love to give it a go because getting the cheapest pint is half the fun for me (drinking it the other half)
maybe you could get better postage from uk if you have someone in the uk that the shop could send to then them send to you?

Lol - ditto Mugsey,
It is good fun - altho i am at the roasting and crushing stage now - i dont have a crusher so propably use a rolling pin to start.
Just bought another 2 fermenters fo 40TL = 15 quid ish and bright yellow ha ha!.
Got about 500gr of hops in the fridge and a few Nottingham yeasts too will be doing my first AG soon hopefully.
But i have recently met a few guys here who are wanting to go down the Home Brew route owing to missing the 'real ales' of UK etc so it looks like we could be forming a brewing club here. Some are off to UK in march/april and have offered to bring me back stuff - hence my post looking for hop rhizomes as thats a bit expensive to be posting here.
Yeasties i will be harvesting and storing after the first brews too.
Next week - pension day - lol - is buy the gas burner day then i'm almost there for the first one!

Back