Getting some yeast from Brewlab :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclops

Landlord.
Reaction score
Taking the plunge on getting real yeast from Brewlab instead of using dried stuff for my next 2 brews, i am going to be doing a Marstons Pedigree Clone and a Old Hooky Clone, they are starting to grow them for me today and will be ready to send by monday :) hopefully it will be ready for a brew next weekend :)

A couple of questions, is it better to make some agar slopes for these when they arrive so i can split them or would it be better to make starters and leave them in the fridge?

I wouldn't have the knowledge of making slopes, but I just make a starter then step them up and split and store in the fridge for future brews; as per http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12694 , it depends how much brewing you are doing as to how many to split. Also if you bottle you can also harvest from them when you need, and I will be trying Aleman's suggestion to bottle some slurry liquid for future use. You won't be disappointed with the Brewlab slopes, I can't recommend them enough. :thumb:

I seen on Jimsbeerkit how to make the slopes, i have ordered some agar and some test tubes ready for it.

On another note, i should be getting some yeast from The Burton Bridge Brewery :) just got to drop a sterile contaner off and they are filling it up for me for a high price of 0p. Seem like brilliant people there :)

Last one I bought was £4, would be also easy to post to you; you can then make a starter, step it up and split it; very economical, just the cost of some spray malt.

Well worth you looking into Gurt :D

I really want to try these, Ed. When you split the slopes, do they keep as long as the split liquid yeasts provided they're stored in a fridge under boiled water?

That's right Gurt, they probably will last longer because they are fresher. Aleman recommends usung within 4-6 weeks, if longer It would be best to get it going again with a starter. Also you can email Brewlab with your recipe and they will recommend a yeast, [email protected]

Good luck :cheers:

Came this morning :) £7.99 for 2 which i think is good value as i will be innoculating my own slants from these
BBE date on the bottle is August 2011, so 6 months :)

I have one that says high gravity, i think this is for the Old Hooky i want to brew, which they said if TV2 and then i have one that says M type as i wanted one like Marstons Pedigree :)

Cheers Ed! I'm sure I'll be giving these a go, but I'll probably have to wait until next autumn for that... My place starts getting too warm for brewing purposes around May, I still have 5 bottles of split WL yeast and only (sadly) so much time to brew. If I manage to brew two more beers before the summer I'll call it good - three would be brilliant but I'll have to see about that.

Back