calcium chloride and epsom salts - potential revelation!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gurtpint

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just discovered that that calcium chloride's solubility in water is limited and I should maybe have added it to my mash. Can I add it to the boil? At which point? Same for the epsom salts... Almost there, cheers!

No love for gurt... I was feeling adventurous and inquiring minds want to know, so I threw everything in the boiler. God made me do it and all that. We'll see if curiosity will kill the brewing cat...

Aleman said:
The idea of water treatment is to adjust the mash pH . . .

Hope I didn't ruin this... Just followed the instructions given by the water treatment calculator here, which said to add some of the stuff to the mash and some to the boiler.

gurtpint said:
Aleman said:
The idea of water treatment is to adjust the mash pH . . .

Hope I didn't ruin this... Just followed the instructions given by the water treatment calculator here, which said to add some of the stuff to the mash and some to the boiler.

I shouldn't worry about it. As long as you got a decent extraction it probably won't make much difference. Theres so many variables, you'll never know. :rofl:

Extraction seemed to be quite the usual but of course now I'll be left wondering if there would have been a remarkable increase in efficiency should I have thrown all my salts in the mash... Of course I had to sample the post-boil wort and the taste was good, no harshness or anything unpleasant. The amounts were small anyway, so here's hoping :pray:

So, for future reference - if I'm going to use salts from now on, should I always mix everything in the mash even if The Calculator Entity tells me to put some things in the mash and some things in the boiler?

Ideally you will mix some of the salts in with the mash before you add water to it . . . the remaining salts go into the boiler before you run the sweet wort into it.

In an ideal world you would add it all to the total volume of liquor in the mash tun, but there are issues with that, that makes it better in my view to split them

Aleman said:
Ideally you will mix some of the salts in with the mash before you add water to it . . . the remaining salts go into the boiler before you run the sweet wort into it.

In an ideal world you would add it all to the total volume of liquor in the mash tun, but there are issues with that, that makes it better in my view to split them

Aye. Can I just be a peasant and add half of everything to the mash and the other half to the boiler?

gurtpint said:
Aleman said:

Aye. Can I just be a peasant and add half of everything to the mash and the other half to the boiler?
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: No, 2/3rds to the mash and 1/3rd to the boiler :lol:

Aleman said:
gurtpint said:
Aleman said:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: No, 2/3rds to the mash and 1/3rd to the boiler :lol:

I'd better make myself a foil hat as well :twisted:

As a non-native Enklish speekker, I may be coming to grips with a thing or two ever so slowly... With my Friday's brew, I was confused about what to add to the mash and what to add to the boiler. I just went over some older threads in this section and it seems like I have mixed boilers and hot-liquor tuns, sort of... I don't have a separate h-l tun, so I ended up thinking you add stuff to the boil with the hops... As for the calculator here, am I now right in assuming that mash salts = the ones mixed in with the grist and boiler salts = the ones added to sparge water? Should probably have thought about that before :nono: :whistle: :oops:

Someone please set me straight (after you have picked yourselves off the floor).

Latest posts

Back