Lager not sparkling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbr00

Reaction score
I have brewed brewferm pils it is now in a barrel and sugar added. After 2 weeks I thought I'd poor off a little through the tap had a glass of foam and when it settled was slightly cloudy and lacking any fizz or sparkle have I done something wrong or is it too early. I had a similar result with youngs lager last time and it never did carbonate nicely but I am still only a beginner

Without further details not sure what the problem could be.
Is the barrel seal tight? Did you dissolve the sugar before adding to the barrel? How did the original brew go?
I have only just re-started brewing myself and remember not one instance where there was no fizz at all (I do bottling).

Is it a budget or king keg pressure barrel your using? I used to find it very hard to get a nice fizz to my lager in a barrel because they are not capable of holding the pressure you need to get a good fizz. At best i got a very very slight one. Hence why i went down the more expensive corny route, expensive to start with but worth every penny. :thumb:

It's a budget barrel seems to be tightly sealed as when I opened the tap it almost exploded out under the initial pressure build up. Not sure the correct way of pouring it as just seems to be very lively out of the barrel and when it settles very flat. Everything seemed to go ok with brew and dissolved granulated sugar before adding it to barrel

mln810 said:
Is it a budget or king keg pressure barrel your using? I used to find it very hard to get a nice fizz to my lager in a barrel because they are not capable of holding the pressure you need to get a good fizz. At best i got a very very slight one. Hence why i went down the more expensive corny route, expensive to start with but worth every penny. :thumb:
mln810 said:
It's a budget barrel seems to be tightly sealed as when I opened the tap it almost exploded out under the initial pressure build up. Not sure the correct way of pouring it as just seems to be very lively out of the barrel and when it settles very flat. Everything seemed to go ok with brew and dissolved granulated sugar before adding it to barrel
Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:55 am

You will not be able to acheive anything other than slight fizz in your beer/lager from a plastic pressure barrel.

Bottles, or a cornelius keg is required.

Latest posts

Back