To pitch more Yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivanhoe71

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain brew on Sunday and now 2 days in I've no sign of fermentation via
the airlock. The book I followed mentions that this is not always a problem but I'm not sure to wait 10 days
and taste/bottle the beer or buy and add fresh yeast now. Any advice appreciated,thanks.

No I did not want to disturb it. Would you suggest a look and if there is some activity just leave it? If no sign of activity pitch some more? ]airlock activity is not the best way to check. Have you had a look at it?[/quote]

Have a peak just to satisfy your curiosity then put the lid on and forget about it for two weeks.

What temp / yeast / brew is it?

Its in a room at 20c, Nottingham yeast, EPA maris otter,crystal and flaked malt,Target and EK hops
jonnymorris said:
Have a peak just to satisfy your curiosity then put the lid on and forget about it for two weeks.

OK thanks I will do
ivanhoe71 said:
Its in a room at 20c, Nottingham yeast, EPA maris otter,crystal and flaked malt,Target and EK hops
jonnymorris said:

You need to use a hydrometer to check if fermentation is happening. For the first 24 hours or so there might not be much happening but after that the gravity should fall.

Thank you
rpt said:
You need to use a hydrometer to check if fermentation is happening. For the first 24 hours or so there might not be much happening but after that the gravity should fall.

I think the whole point is that Ivanhoe was trying to leave it alone completely, so constantly poking it with a stick probably isn't such a great idea.

However, cracking the lid and taking a quick look is the obvious first step, if it's got a head of froth (probably with brown gunk sitting on top of it) then it's working.

Airlocks on buckets rarely bubble, it only takes the slightest crack for the carbon dioxide pressure to escape some other way. Use your eyes, ears and nose.

ok thank you"Moley" said:
I think the whole point is that Ivanhoe was trying to leave it alone completely, so constantly poking it with a stick probably isn't such a great idea.

However, cracking the lid and taking a quick look is the obvious first step, if it's got a head of froth (probably with brown gunk sitting on top of it) then it's working.

Airlocks on buckets rarely bubble, it only takes the slightest crack for the carbon dioxide pressure to escape some other way. Use your eyes, ears and nose.

Moley said:

Agree entirely with the above. Sometimes a yeast is slow taking off due to a low yeast pitching rate, not rehydrating properly (Dry yeast) before pitching,
or the lack of proper aeration.
Notto does not need the wort to be aerated prior to pitching but does need to be rehydrated according to the manufacture's instructions for optimum results.
A fermentation fridge with temp control is a good idea too. :)

PS --- The book "Yeast" by Chris White with Jamil Zainasheff is a great read.

Latest posts

Back