Like a monk.........

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

london_lhr

Reaction score
Hi all,
not brewed a beer, ever! (sampled plenty, though). Starting out on the road of home brewing.
I have done a lot of homework and reading and currently I am collecting the necessary equipment for all grain brewing.
My favourite beers are the Belgian type ales and Dunkel German Weisens and pilseners/lagers.
There is a long way to go and the learning curve will be quite steep but ultimately I hope to be able to brew..... like a monk..... :D
(too old to become one)!
Hopefully I am not biting off more than I can chew :lol:
Although I have never brewed any beer or wine, I have made different types of cheese and yoghurts.
Any suggestions as to what the very first all grain brew should be? (nothing too complicated to start with!) :D

Barry.

In my experience there are 3 stages to brewing AG beer successfully - mashing & boiling, fermenting, packaging & storing and the processes for each stage need to be learnt and repeated over a period of time, for me this is why it's such a great hobby.

Learning the fermenting stage using kits first would be my choice, however if going straight to AG then keeping it simple as poss would be the goal, so try a SMASH ( single malt and single hop) something like hop back summer lightning and use a dried yeast.

Thanks for the welcome :D
I forgot to mention I live in the Bradwell area of Es........(the forum would not allow the rest of the county below Suffolk. Contains a naughty word......

Barry.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Apart from 2 batches of Turbo Cider (an acquired taste, IMO), I went straight in with All Grain and have never looked back.

I used This to guide me through my first brew, which was an oatmeal stout. It's a great guide, and allows you to get stuck in without feeling like you have to know absolutely everything about brewing before you start.

On that note, I'd just jump straight in - pick a recipe and brew it using Brewstew's excellent guide. It'll allow you to get a feel for what brewing all grain actually is, and if you do it right, you'll be amazed at the result.

If you like Belgian ales, why not start off with a Belgian Pale Ale? Should be easy enough using the Fermentis dry Belgian yeast. Rob at The Malt Miller has all the ingredients and there's plenty of recipes kicking about.

Happy brewing :thumb:

Back