Flaked oats?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've fired an email off to micronized food products too now. See what they say.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think they are flaked oats - we usually use "Quick Oats" as they are cheap and have all we need, I think what you have been supplied is flaked oats that have not been dehusked. Those of us that love really old recipes would probably appreciate it, as recipes with a lot of torrified wheat or flaked oats can be hard to sparge.

I don't have the budget for a 3V or GF, etc, so I BIAB, and actually find I have to adjust my recipe for the amount held in the bag with torrified wheat and flaked oats - so don't start dissing your LHBS yet.

Well yeah, I thought that, will see better once opened. Recipe calls for 700g but I may chuck the whole kilo in to account for the hulls. Too late now anyway, brewday is Sunday. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well, its fermenting, chucked the whole kilo in to account for the extra weight of the hulls as I said, hit my numbers ok too. Will see how it turns out.

I've used oat malt in place of flaked oats and it went fine so no biggie if they have given you the wrong stuff.

These days it seems every beer has oats in. Particularly the craft ones. They also seem to have an obsession with putting Rye in Belgian beer. The mind boggles.

Plain cornflakes are the same as flaked maize, too. About 27p for 500g asda smart price ones. Yes there's extra ingredients in what are no more than trace amounts which in practical terms affect the beer not one iota. I know - I use them often and in substantial percentages.

To the OP: whatever is in the bag is not 'flaked'.

I'm glad you mentioned this as I intend to brew a Lager for the Missus at some stage in the next few months now that I have a fermentation chamber set up.:thumb:

I'm glad you mentioned this as I intend to brew a Lager for the Missus at some stage in the next few months now that I have a fermentation chamber set up.:thumb:

Hope it meets her expectations! For what it's worth the most FM (in the form of cornflakes!) I've used in 23l is about 800g... no problems with anything. Let us know how it turns out anyway, if only to show I'm not talking cobblers!

Hope it meets her expectations! For what it's worth the most FM (in the form of cornflakes!) I've used in 23l is about 800g... no problems with anything. Let us know how it turns out anyway, if only to show I'm not talking cobblers!
There is an agricultural feed store 5 mins from me where I can buy maize in bulk but they are 25kg bags which is too much.Shall certainly give them a try come the time.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I will also be following your advice and chucking some cornflakes into a pseudo lager.
From the other thread you mentioned flaked barley that can be bought at H&B. Are there any other grains/adjuncts that you use that you dont buy from a HB shop (apart from porridge oats which I know about). This info is useful as it means I dont have to pay postage on grains that I dont have in stock and suddenly want to make a beer using them

Latest posts

Back