Sous Vide cooking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooked up some ribeye steaks last night. 2 hours at 58c then pan seared. Seasoned with salt,pepper and garlic powder. First time i have tried this and was very impressed. Only thing is i forgot to clean out the boiler before putting a brew on. Dot think i had any leaks though so i may cook some food before i mash next time. Nothing ventured nothing gained. :doh:

From a personal point of view, Sous vide is really interesting but I think it would be more worth trying to slow cook piece of meat that would otherwise need to be slow cooked in liquid and end up as a stew...

Sous Vide Chicken breast I don't think offers much (for the day to day diner) that either frying or poaching would do?!

Sous Vide Ox Tail though could be really good where you want slow cooked meat without gravy

Great for fried chicken.
Joint the chicken.
Cook in a bag, set the stock that comes out of the chicken aside for another recipe.
Toss in flour, dip in egg and coat with the herby/spicy coating of your choice and deep fry.
Perfect crispy fried chicken that is always cooked through and always tender.

Great for fried chicken.
Joint the chicken.
Cook in a bag, set the stock that comes out of the chicken aside for another recipe.
Toss in flour, dip in egg and coat with the herby/spicy coating of your choice and deep fry.
Perfect crispy fried chicken that is always cooked through and always tender.

Have to say that sounds very tasty. Just need to get a fryer next. I swapped fried foods for more beer. :)

Colin your posts are hilarious. I needed a good chuckle today. Cheers :)
I also forgot to mention i tried doing a lump of beef in there for only 2 hours. Flash fried it and put on the plate to find out it was almost raw and tough as an old leather shoe. 3 hours of supposed slow cooking in the oven later was even worse. Probably stick to steaks as they have always been great.

Colin your posts are hilarious. I needed a good chuckle today. Cheers :)
I also forgot to mention i tried doing a lump of beef in there for only 2 hours. Flash fried it and put on the plate to find out it was almost raw and tough as an old leather shoe. 3 hours of supposed slow cooking in the oven later was even worse. Probably stick to steaks as they have always been great.
A mate of mine regularly does big chunks of beef or venison and cooks them for 12 - 24 hours in the SV. 3 hours was optimistic to say the least.

I did loads of sous vide until I got a pressure cooker. If you pressure cooker stuff like ribs or belly pork for 12 minutes and then sear it or even better still put it on a barbeque then it's super fast and just as good or better. I've got a barbeque chimney starter and just slam a griddle rack over it instead of a full barbeque. It's staggeringly good.

Back