I'm just not happy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reducing levels of stigma. Reducing levels of stigma. Although I do think heightened and more public levels of perceived expectations are a big cause in the young.

For people around my age 45, I think the widespread use of ecstasy back in the late 80's early 90's may be a factor.

What gives with the huge rise in depression / mental illness etc, as recently reported?
I don't doubt that there are more pressures in modern society compared to years ago, but human beings are resilient and most of us should be capable of dealing with these pressures, that's why we have successfully evolved. Mental health issues are really probably little different to what they were years ago. Then people just got on with life warts and all, or were cared for by the family or if they were really bad put into an asylum, and there was no proper means to collect data. Nowadays it gets reported and put into database somewhere and that means it can be accessed immediately and manipulated to give you any number of different outputs to suit what you are looking for. And as far as the individual is concerned at the present time, people are more likely to seek professional help given the information and opportunities available to them, all of which did not exist in years gone by.

Mainly true, "We want it all and We want it now" applies more than ever add to it that life is only when your young and it's a Helterskelter to depression.

aamcle

We want roughly what our parents had, would do tbh ;-)

I've actually been very lucky in that I'm a homeowner before 30. Only 1 of my friends is also a homeowner and they are all in very good jobs.

Brother suffers with it and even had a little relapse a few weeks ago at a family do.

He has a nice partner two kids a well paid job and a nice house

He has always been a bit of a perfectionist though and I think somewhere he has developed a warped perfect unrealistic vision of what should be life which ultimately makes him deeply unhappy with himself.. this is no expert opinion just an angle I have on him.

I think a large part of more cases could also be attributed to people speaking out about it more and being more aware of it too..

I think Dexter is right with the whole sleep thing aswell.

I haven't read the article (will have a look later) but my take on the subject is people (especially men) are now far more likely to talk about depression rather than bottle it up and keep quiet like us males of a certain age did in the day.

This concept of a well paid job or having a good job is farcical.

Any job is what you are forced to do to make money to pay the increasing demands put upon people either by the corrupt system or the dillusion that having more makes you happy.

Keeping up with jones is one of the biggest causes of debt and misery in peoples lives

Earn £100 spend £99 = happiness
Earn £100 spend £101 = misery

Just £1 makes all the difference

This concept of a well paid job or having a good job is farcical.

Any job is what you are forced to do to make money to pay the increasing demands put upon people either by the corrupt system or the dillusion that having more makes you happy.

Keeping up with jones is one of the biggest causes of debt and misery in peoples lives

Earn �£100 spend �£99 = happiness
Earn �£100 spend �£101 = misery

Just �£1 makes all the difference

A humble bin man with food on the table / roof over his head / good health / friends etc is happier with his lot than the stressed-out businessman in a constant effort to maintain or further his lifestyle and material possessions. Me - I don't have much but then don't want much.. The sleep thing is a biggie - I do a 3-shift system and don't know if I'm on this earth or Fuller's most the time. This causes a permanent state of angst and spikiness which even manifests on the forum occasionally:lol:. Plus I have grown to hate my job, a situation which may well be remedied over the next few weeks. I'll be worse off financially but it ain't always about money, not by a long shot.

A humble bin man with food on the table / roof over his head / good health / friends etc is happier with his lot than the stressed-out businessman in a constant effort to maintain or further his lifestyle and material possessions. Me - I don't have much but then don't want much.. The sleep thing is a biggie - I do a 3-shift system and don't know if I'm on this earth or Fuller's most the time. This causes a permanent state of angst and spikiness which even manifests on the forum occasionally:lol:. Plus I have grown to hate my job, a situation which may well be remedied over the next few weeks. I'll be worse off financially but it ain't always about money, not by a long shot.

Would that be a Fullers ESB clone?

I haven't read the article (will have a look later) but my take on the subject is people (especially men) are now far more likely to talk about depression rather than bottle it up and keep quiet like us males of a certain age did in the day.

I read quite a lot of the article in the link (as much as i could take) and now for my second take on the subject.

When i was about to leave school my careers Officer (remember those) asked me what i would like to do for a living after i explained the type of work i was interested in he gave me a list of places to apply for a job this was in the late seventies (the article refers to) at that time there were plenty of jobs to apply for in all sectors and few of my friends didn't get a job, i have been keeping an eye on the job sites for a few years as my son was due to leave 4 years ago, i do not know if its just this area but believe me unless you did particularly well at school or have a particular skill the chance of getting a job here are very slim luckily my son is now in an apprenticeship and is doing well but many of his friends are not and several have never had a job other than a part time one on minimum wage working behind a shop, takeaway or pub counter when i was their age you could earn good money doing menial jobs but today there are many more people looking for a job than there are jobs so they can pay minimum wage and know they will get applicants, i am not surprised a section of young people today are not happy.

I know exactly where you are coming from.I work a continental 4 on/4 off rotating days/nights which can leave in constant states of fatigue feeling letargic,mood swings and the list goes on.
I work for a big international company who in fairness are aware of these issues and effects that it has on a person and their families,friends,social life and give the impression that they care as they are bound to by law but at the end of the day you're only a number on their books that they employ to do a job which can be very demanding as the job itself has numerous roles,goals and deadlines and thses all have a major contributing factor.
I've been there but have had to get on with it and deal with it by taliking about it exercising be it only going for walks more regularly as the doc would not comtemplate any medication even for sleeping due to the addiction of these drugs.
I'm on nights at present which are 7pm-7am and have two down so far and today has been good as I had 6 hours solid without even getting up to go to the loo but yesterday I only had 3 hours after being on the go for a solid 24 hours.
I understand the pressures of modern day life with bringing up a family of four and two parents working just to pay the bills and the majority of us are living from one paycheck to another and this all takes it's toll.
I'm currently seaking other employment but unfortunately due to the lack of employers in my city I would have to go back to travelling which is why I took this job 11 years ago so I could be at home more.
Modern day living is just a vicious circle.

I think the change in employment over the last 30-40 years has had an influence. Many people these days don't see a tangible end product in their work, be it something physical they have made, or satisfied customer at the end of a face to face interaction. And, I think the rise in creative hobbies like brewing, baking and even things like adult colouring books are the result of people looking for a solution to this. I know a fair few people who have quit well paid jobs, to work longer hours for less money, in their own cafes, bars, shops, and appear happier for it.

My personal opinion on the subject (not a popular one) is that the majority of “depressed” people just have a crappy outlook on life. There are the same amount of people “clinically depressed” (medication for imbalances) or genuinely “troubled” e.g. abused etc. The rest feel sorry for themselves because they can’t live the lifestyle they see on strictly come xfactor housewives of big brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back