World's most expensive dram of Scotch was a fake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't have let on and pocketed the money.

A dram of vintage Scotch bought by a Chinese millionaire in a Swiss hotel bar for £7,600 was a fake, laboratory tests have concluded.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwcHvuPQha4[/ame]

I bet you wouldn't know the difference between that and a �£40 bottle...

Clearly he didn't, yet I'd wager he waxed lyrical about the astonishing flavour that only came from the best whisky in the world...

Anyone who CAN spend seven grand on a single dram of whisky is a ****ing genius.

I could go and do it tomorrow and I'd still be a ****ing idiot (just a different kind to usual).

I wouldn't have let on and pocketed the money

Remind me not to do business with you!

About 15 years ago I forked out over £100 for a bottle of 1979 whisky from one of the Islay distilleries. Tasted absolutely fantastic, smooth as silk. I saw recently, where you can still get it, it's now going for £1000 a bottle. Wish I'd bought more now.

Remind me not to do business with you!

About 15 years ago I forked out over �£100 for a bottle of 1979 whisky from one of the Islay distilleries. Tasted absolutely fantastic, smooth as silk. I saw recently, where you can still get it, it's now going for �£1000 a bottle. Wish I'd bought more now.

Your reply is a bit abjective. If you bought £100 pounds worth of gold in 2002 it would now be worth £500 only you wont get that return as you have already drank it. Any commodity is only valued at what anyone else is willing to pay for it. This inclueds everthing in life.
Well done the Chinese bloke who can afford to buy it and well done to the person responsible for selling it to him

Anyone who CAN spend seven grand on a single dram of whisky is a ****ing genius.

Donald Trump, any of his children, Paris Hilton, Prince Charles, pretty much anyone on that stupid Made in Chelsea show, Russel Brand, Jonathon Ross, Colonel Gaddafi's kids (at least before the invasion), any premier league footballer you care to mention...

I could go on. Point is, your bank balance does not correlate with your intelligence, and most rich people aren't self-made.

And those who are self made probably wouldn't spend that much on scotch. Can you imagine Alan Sugar doing so? Not likely.

Donald Trump, any of his children, Paris Hilton, Prince Charles, pretty much anyone on that stupid Made in Chelsea show, Russel Brand, Jonathon Ross, Colonel Gaddafi's kids (at least before the invasion), any premier league footballer you care to mention...

I could go on. Point is, your bank balance does not correlate with your intelligence, and most rich people aren't self-made.

And those who are self made probably wouldn't spend that much on scotch. Can you imagine Alan Sugar doing so? Not likely.

I agree with most of your replies, but there are some self made millionairs, who actulaay didnt **** someone over

I'm not sure where I've implied that you have to **** someone over to be a self made millionaire.

Far from it, my comment assumes self made millionaires are intelligent, which I suppose isn't necessarily the case.

Far from it, my comment assumes self made millionaires are intelligent, which I suppose isn't necessarily the case.

True, but it must get boring when you've run out of ideas what to spend the cash on next - a seven-grand dram of whisky is as daft or clever as owt else in that position. Me - I'd give the lot to cat welfare schemes cos I'm a sucker for the little buggers, but some would say I'm as daft as the whisky guy. Who cares, it'd be mine to do as I choose with!

Don't get me wrong, it's his money and he can do as he damn well pleases. It was the idea that rich people are necessarily intelligent that I disagreed with. I know just enough public schoolboys to know it's not true :lol:

Your reply is a bit abjective. If you bought �£100 pounds worth of gold in 2002 it would now be worth �£500 only you wont get that return as you have already drank it. Any commodity is only valued at what anyone else is willing to pay for it. This inclueds everthing in life.
Well done the Chinese bloke who can afford to buy it and well done to the person responsible for selling it to him

Personally, I don't drink gold, but whatever floats your boat.

The guy was obviously showing off he probably didn't care that much when he found out later it was fake.

Latest posts

Back