Your favourite malty beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
Hello. I meet up regularly with a group of friends for Beer Club, where we each try to bring in new and exceptional examples of different styles for tasting.I think I've detected a bit of a comeback for malt-focused beers of late, so I'd like to bring in some to taste. In my view, the perfect malty brew would be Adnams' Ghost Ship. I'm also pretty keen still on London Pride and Old Hoppy Hen. But are there any newer craft brewers interesting things with malt?

I'm currently a bit obsessed with Paulaner Dunkel (not the wheat Dunkel) on draught at a local German theme pub. The hops and yeast stay in the background and "season" the rich maltiness with a hint of earth and spice. It is a fantastic pint and a great example of what can be done with malt in a lager.

I'm currently a bit obsessed with Paulaner Dunkel (not the wheat Dunkel) on draught at a local German theme pub. The hops and yeast stay in the background and "season" the rich maltiness with a hint of earth and spice. It is a fantastic pint and a great example of what can be done with malt in a lager.

Cheers! Excellent choice.

Have a look on Eebria online beer shop. Plenty of malt forward craft beer.

Blackjack, Moor and Redwillow have some more malt forward traditional styles.

Runaway do some great malty beers like their Brown Ale.

Torrside Brewing do loads of different barley wines and occupy their own niche in the market for beers using smoked malts, from traditional European styles to smoked porters.

Not on Eebria, but Cheshire Brewhouse do a heritage IPA using Chevallier heritage malt called Govinda.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Have a look on Eebria online beer shop. Plenty of malt forward craft beer.

Blackjack, Moor and Redwillow have some more malt forward traditional styles.

Runaway do some great malty beers like their Brown Ale.

Torrside Brewing do loads of different barley wines and occupy their own niche in the market for beers using smoked malts, from traditional European styles to smoked porters.

Not on Eebria, but Cheshire Brewhouse do a heritage IPA using Chevallier heritage malt called Govinda.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

That's really halpful. Thanks.

I've had the Paulaner Munchner Dunkel (probably the same beer) at a place called Katzenjammers in Borough Market. Lovely beer. Lovely place too; they serve it in steins, there's umpah bands, and they do the best sausage platters. Worth a visit.

I've had the Paulaner Munchner Dunkel (probably the same beer) at a place called Katzenjammers in Borough Market. Lovely beer. Lovely place too; they serve it in steins, there's umpah bands, and they do the best sausage platters. Worth a visit.

I've been there, good place (although I barfed outside, not their fault though). They were unfortunately on the news in one of the terror attacks earlier in the year...

Yeah, they were. The attackers didn't get in there, but they got in the Wheatsheaf and Black and Blue restaurant just round the corner. My three favourite spots in Borough market, so that was worryingly close to home.

This is a cracking malty brew
aviary-image-1507323546951.jpg

The only wee heavy I can recall having is Belhaven, but I do enjoy it when I have it. I'd love to explore the style a bit further.

The Ten Storey malt bomb was exactly what I'm looking for.

I also had a modern talk on a Scottish heavy in a BrewDog bar recently, but can't remember it.

Back in the day the Caledonian brewery here in Edinburgh used to do a decent malty 80. However it seems to have dropped off their product list.

Back in the day the Caledonian brewery here in Edinburgh used to do a decent malty 80. However it seems to have dropped off their product list.
I think their 80 shilling has been relabelled as Edinburgh Castle. It still appears up here (Aberdeen) on cask now and again.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Westmalle Dubbel and Chimay Blue are really nice malty Belgian beer's, generally well stocked in Tesco

King Goblin is worth a try

I'd describe Ghost Ship as balanced myself but each to their own. For a malt-forward heavy, try McEwans No.1 Champion, a truly great beer.

Hertog Jan is a nice Dutch malty continental beer, but hard to find here. Beer Hawk sell it but you also need a Perfectdraft dispenser.
London Pride is a good standard 'go to' beer for me.
My favourite beer locally brewed (to me that is), would be Bishop's Finger (AKA Nun's Delight ) . About the only Shepherd Neame offering I tollerate. - And that's only when there's nothing else. Almost never see it on tap these days. :-(

I think their 80 shilling has been relabelled as Edinburgh Castle. It still appears up here (Aberdeen) on cask now and again.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Now this is really weird, it does still exist. Just had two pints of it(keg not cask). First was average but improved once it warmed up. The second was 1st pint from a new keg and was excellent, very malty and as I remembered it.
And even weirder. They had Edinburgh castle on cask but it was off.

Back