MP's salaries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They shouldn't get a payrise, most of them are abusing their power to boost their personal investments and claiming unnecessary expenses still anyway.

TRXnMe said:
Jeltz said:
If we cut their wages the only effect would be to force out people who can't afford to be an MP in favour of those that already have money but want power!

The issue is that the current batch are **** and if you have a poor quality work force you have to invest to get a better one.

Sorry, but I heard this argument when Maggie was in power, and they got the pay rise back then, look who that got us!!! :(

You're missing the point. I'm not saying the current load are any good just that considering what we as a country are paying them is it any wonder that they are ****.

If Tesco or any major company offered £70k to a prospective board member then they would be told to shove it. Now there is an argument for altruistic people to be in charge of the country but personally I would rather they were competent and had a proven record of success rather than just a nice person who thinks it would be awfully good to spend money on this and that without a real handle on where that money is going to come from.

Jeltz said:
If Tesco or any major company offered £70k to a prospective board member then they would be told to shove it.
Probably true, but those who are capable would probably want £170k and then we'd get all the out of work bankers queuing up to get on the soap box. MP's....Bankers :hmm: Not sure which is worse. Best thing is put the lot on a desolate island and then use it for bombing practice. Then we could offer a pay rise and maybe get some who give a sh*t about the country instead of lining their own pockets. Oh and cut their pension too. And double their contributions.

Jeltz said:
TRXnMe said:
Jeltz said:
If we cut their wages the only effect would be to force out people who can't afford to be an MP in favour of those that already have money but want power!

The issue is that the current batch are **** and if you have a poor quality work force you have to invest to get a better one.

Sorry, but I heard this argument when Maggie was in power, and they got the pay rise back then, look who that got us!!! :(

You're missing the point. I'm not saying the current load are any good just that considering what we as a country are paying them is it any wonder that they are ****.

If Tesco or any major company offered £70k to a prospective board member then they would be told to shove it. Now there is an argument for altruistic people to be in charge of the country but personally I would rather they were competent and had a proven record of success rather than just a nice person who thinks it would be awfully good to spend money on this and that without a real handle on where that money is going to come from.

MPs aren't the board though, that's the cabinet, they get paid more than a normal MP does.

The last truly skillful governemnt we had was Maggie's second term, before she started to get too loopy and still had people who were millionaires in theor own right (Heseltine for example) on the cabinet.

Sorry to add fuel to the fire here. Many MPs also hold directorships for other companies, which they get as they are seen to be in influence within Parliament. ..Also the working year for most MPs is like school teachers. They get most of the summer and xmas off for recess.

I don't want to tar all MPs with the same brush but ask yourself this....who is my MP and how do I get to talk to them...I for one have no idea as to who my local MP is

My MP is a Tory, Jacob Rees Mogg son of the late Lord William Rees-Mogg and is an absolute toff if you can find video of him you will crease.

We had an issue locally in that the LA wanted to put a traveller site in the middle of a residential area which wasn't popular. I emailed him and within 3 days had a long response giving a lot of advise and outlining what he could and couldn't do and what he would be doing to address the issues and what we as a community could and should do ourselves. I was seriously impressed by this as what he could do was limited as it was really a local government issue and he could have easily just fobbed me/us off. Considering I live in a former mining area which is a Labour stronghold with a staunchly republican town council, he was was truly representing his constituents rather than his supporters.

However he is a classic example of one of the political class and while he means well and does reasonably well he has no real experience of running anything successfully, he's just Eton/Oxford educated and privileged.

I have nothing against millionaires in parliament or in the cabinet, I just want MPs who have a proven track record outside of politics either as true academic minds or in business.

TRXnMe said:
MPs aren't the board though, that's the cabinet, they get paid more than a normal MP does.

The last truly skillful governemnt we had was Maggie's second term, before she started to get too loopy and still had people who were millionaires in theor own right (Heseltine for example) on the cabinet.

It's a good point that MP's don't make decisions, they rubber stamp policies as decided by the government. I can't agree that any of Thatcher's governments represent "skillful" government though. Thatcher's leadership style signalled the end of cabinet government. No longer does the cabinet make decisions, a few key people around the PM do, some of whom are unelected policy advisors. This continued through the Blair/Brown years and into the current government. This might give strong government but it can also lead to poor ill considered policies that haven't had to get through cabinet, look at the number of policy announcements followed by U-turns we've had with this government. To me a skillful PM is one who is able to gain consensus within a cabinet.

As for my local MP...Edward Garnier. Don't like what he stands for, he's an old school privileged background Tory. I have however e-mailed him over an issue at work (it was to do with the ending of free Ordnance Survey map access for schools). I got a reply within half an hour, he e-mailed the OS and copied me into his e-mail and the reply from them which agreed with him and promised a degree of free access would continue. So fair play to Mr Garnier as a constituency MP.

E-Mail your MP from here

They've got to make back the expenses money they lost some how!!

My mp is Gordon brown, f***k sake, I've got more faith in batman and robin sorting out our problems. Good to hear someone's mp helped though!!

Dronfieldbrewer said:
.Also the working year for most MPs is like school teachers. They get most of the summer and xmas off for recess.
Actually teachers holidays are not all that great . . . The vast majority of people who have been to school seem to think that teachers behave like students when they are on holiday . . . i.e. do nothing!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

My wife has 1 week off a year where she actually refuses to do a single bit of school related work other than that it is generally half days through all the other school holidays ...

Oh and don't ever think of having a cheap holiday in the sun :twisted:

MP's have 211 days off a year . . . Pay them pro rata i.e 70K annually nut only 154/365s of it :twisted: :twisted:

Dronfieldbrewer said:
Sorry to add fuel to the fire here. Many MPs also hold directorships for other companies, which they get as they are seen to be in influence within Parliament. ..Also the working year for most MPs is like school teachers. They get most of the summer and xmas off for recess.

I don't want to tar all MPs with the same brush but ask yourself this....who is my MP and how do I get to talk to them...I for one have no idea as to who my local MP is

You can find out who your MP is here

http://www.writetothem.com/

You will also get to see how good they are at responding to emails from the public to them

FWIW my MP is Jessica Morden, I don't agree with her politics, but she does put in a reasonable amount of work for the constituency and has been known to work in the constituency when not required in Westminster.

I have signed up for updates on the site listed, so I get emails when she speaks in parliament, asks questons, is appointed to comittees etc, if you want to know what your MP is doing to earn their money it's a good site.

Latest posts

Back