Dry hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_rawdin

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has probably been answered on here before but do people generally dry hop in secondary? If you only primary ferment for around 4 days before putting into secondary then it would make more sense to dry hop in secondary to ensure all the aroma and flavours are extracted from the hops as secondary will be longer wouldn't it?

If you secondary, then yes dry hop there. There are pros and cons with racking to secondary depending on your setup, and most of them are debatable. It's common practice to leave the beer in primary and then dry hopping as fermentation ends and the krausen drops.

I tend to wait for about 10 days before dry hopping and then leave them for another 4 days. I wrap a piece of net curtain material (sanitized) around my syphon to filter the hops. This is particularly important if you add pellets as dry hops. Many use a hop sock to contain the hops instead. Dry hopping does add a little bitterness. I find this is more the case with pellets than leaf. I kegged a brew yesterday and it tasted distinctly more bitter after adding 50g of Centennial (12.7% AA). I only left them for 2 days before kegging.

As per above post re around day 8/10 to add dry hops.I usually leave them for 5 days before i rack into a secondary for another 3 days or so before racking to bottling bucket and batch prime.
Two rackings (so far) has not harmed my beers in any way and i have found pretty well all of them clear nice and quickly:)

Latest posts

Back