Rye

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
Ok, have some malted rye to play around with. Never used it before( a b####r to crush) but have put some (5%) into a Ghost Ship 'tinkered' with' brew.
Question for ya. At the rate of just 5% with other malts would there be any real taste from it or do the percentages need to be ramped up and if so to what percentage.?
Ta

I did it at 20% in an IPA. That came out really dank and spicy, i used a heavy dose of Chinook hops in that brew to accentuate that. So I guess the presentation at 5% might depend on what hops you used.

In terms of usability, I don't crunch my grains myself and I do BIAB and I could really tell what they say about rye which is it gets very sticky during the mash and leaves almost an oily texture. I can't say I found that translated into the finished brew, but it did make me think that I would be very wary of using anywhere close to that percentage of rye in a traditional three tier system unless you were right on top of your lautering/sparging as stuck sparge would be a real risk.

I've had a fair few commercial beers that tout their high rye proportion and tend to enjoy them, so I think it's definitely worth the effort!

I did it at 20% in an IPA. That came out really dank and spicy, i used a heavy dose of Chinook hops in that brew to accentuate that. So I guess the presentation at 5% might depend on what hops you used.

In terms of usability, I don't crunch my grains myself and I do BIAB and I could really tell what they say about rye which is it gets very sticky during the mash and leaves almost an oily texture. I can't say I found that translated into the finished brew, but it did make me think that I would be very wary of using anywhere close to that percentage of rye in a traditional three tier system unless you were right on top of your lautering/sparging as stuck sparge would be a real risk.

I've had a fair few commercial beers that tout their high rye proportion and tend to enjoy them, so I think it's definitely worth the effort!
Ta.
I do biab and partial mashes.Will see how the 5% turns out and might try slightly higer next time.
To be honest the only beer(to my knowledge) that contains any Rye is Ghost Ship
had to put the Rye malt through the crinder twice.

Ta.
I do biab and partial mashes.Will see how the 5% turns out and might try slightly higer next time.
To be honest the only beer(to my knowledge) that contains any Rye is Ghost Ship
had to put the Rye malt through the crinder twice.
Marstons Shipyard Rye Pale Ale is fantastic.If you come across it grab a bottle just for the taste.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I put 17% into an IPA and you could tell it was there all right. I crushed it fine (0.76mm roller gap) but crushed the barley coarser (1.25mm). Used the Bulldog Brewer and had no problem lautering at all. I did up the crystal compared to a standard American IPA, to compensate for the dryness of the rye, but even with that I think I'll tone it down a bit next time. At 5% it won't be in your face, but should still contribute to the character of the beer.

Latest posts

Back