Bottles, and how they pour...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
This maybe a boring thought.....

Anyway, as I was washing out bottles the others day (mental note, remember to include a dishwasher in SWMBO's plans for kitchen) I was reminded of the very different pouring qualities of different bottle shapes.

I suppose I'm really talking about full, vertical inversion - which we probably do at no other time - but it always surprises me how different they all are.

Some of them have a chugging, glugging, belching way of dispatching their contents.

Some of them have almost beautiful 'twisting' shaped flows of liquid, which are far more elegant - and must be there by design, rather than happy coincidence.

Is there any logic or science behind this, do you think, or is is all just about shelf appeal?

Cheers

Shelf appeal, I worked for a firm making smelly things for the loo, there was no real reason why they should not be symmetrical however some one in a design office decided they were not to be symmetrical and we had to use bowl feeders and complex systems to ensure every one was right way around, just because of some designers whim.

Best bottles for homebrew are those that have a distinct shoulder before the neck which helps hold back any yeast sludge. result is you get more clear beer out than with those bottles that just slope from the sides straight up to the top. Though it makes little difference if you use a very sticky yeast of course.

Best bottles for homebrew are those that have a distinct shoulder before the neck which helps hold back any yeast sludge. result is you get more clear beer out than with those bottles that just slope from the sides straight up to the top. Though it makes little difference if you use a very sticky yeast of course.

Whilst I agree with this from a yeast sediment point of view, I've find that the bottles with a distinct shoulder also have longer, thinner necks. Perhaps it's my poor technique but these bottles always give me a 'glug' when I start pouring. :whistle:

My main ones tend to be like this

1431359399-89385700.png

Do not have too many problems with these.

Back