Newbie dumb question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanot2000

Reaction score
Ladies and Gents, please accept my apologies for what to yourselves is probably a very daft quastion (but to me is currently tantamount to the end of the world!)

Long story short I'm getting married on Saturday (17th!) and having the reception in our paddock in a marquee. I've built a bar and bought myself a cooler/regulator etc kit (which is ending up in the man cave afterwards as I've been meaning to set up a draft bar for ages...method in madness). I joined this forum to help me buy the bits and set it up and its been invaluable.

It's a single line get up with a Maxi 310 cooler running a single keg of cider (Stowford Press). Everything is set up, lines cleaned, research on pressure for reg all done. Tried and bloody hell its good, no problems.

My concern is the Co2 supply. Its a 6.35kg bottle and when connected to my dual dial reg (which goes up to 2000 psi), showed approx 600psi. Now after a few trials, cleaning (I've bought a vacuum pump cleaning rig) its showing 500 psi.

Now the reg goes into the 'red' at 600psi which had me a bit worried. The pressure is stable and not leaking as far as i know.

How long will this cylinder last me? Ive got 5 barrels (11 gal) of cider for the big day and im concerned I'll run out? If the Co2 goes it's a show stopper as I have only the single cylinder.

Should I be worried or am I just being a jessie?!

I'm in the Hereford area and cannot seem to find somewhere close to refill/get a second if required, and the clock is ticking!

Yours in a frenzied state of harrassment.

Deano

If the cider has been force carbed in the keg before you got it then you should have a very low serving pressure set (about 5psi) , a cylinder will last you in that case for quite a while (weeks), place where i work part time in occasionally has 1 cylinder running about 8 taps in over two different bars.

Hi. Not sure if the keg was force carbed (is that normal for commercial cider?) but my keg pressure is at about 6-8 psi and flowing lovely with just the right amount of fizz.

Does anyone know of a food grade co2 supplier in the Hereford area?

Deano

Back