MJ M44 US West Coast Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just bottled a Bulldog Four Finger Jack American Pale kit which I brewed using Mangrove Jack's M44 US West Coast yeast as the kit was a couple of months out of date. The OG was 1.050 and it finished at 1.002 which is an incredible attenuation of over 90%. Am I calculating the attenuation properly?

I made the same kit a year ago using the kit yeast which is a 20g pack compared to the MJ 11g one. From my notes, this went from 1.047 to 1.002 which I put down to the larger pack (probably incorrect in my assumption).

Am I calculating the yeast attenuation correctly at 96% for both of these? It seems remarkable for dried yeast which is not rehydrated before pitching.

It also makes for a much stronger pint - 6.5%. I have made this kit 4 times and each time have achieved a much higher abv than the 4.6% advertised on the box. This one and all the Youngs American ales I have made have exceeded the box advertised abv whereas all the other kits have been at least 0.5% below advertised abv.

(should also have probably mentioned that I always make the kits up to 20 litres not 23!).

Back