Re-start yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout clone on the go. It is in the FV and has gone from an OG of 1049 to 1020 in 8 full days (today being day 9). It has been at a fairly constant temp of 23 degrees for the 8 days. I measured it today and it was 1020 also. I am wondering if the ferment has stuck. Ideally, I would like the FG to be 1010 but that looks a long way off.

If I use a re-start yeast, which one is best?
Can you use any type of re-start yeast or does it need to be specific to beer?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I composed a brew of 7 grains with an OG of 1.048 using CML Belgian yeast and after two weeks it only got to 1.024.
Pitched another Belgian yeast and after a further two weeks it had not moved.
Transferred to secondary with very little yeast cake remaining and rehydrated a CML US Pale Ale yeast to see if it will shift and this was only last night.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

That doesn't sound too promising.

I used Safale 04 or possibly 05. I have always found Safale yeast to be of good quality and to get the ferment done in a reasonable time.

Actually, I told a fib earlier. The gravity is at 1018. I forgot I used a different hydrometer than I normally use. But it was the same one as used for the OG, with temp taken into account.

I wonder should I give the refractometer a whirl to see what that says? Although sometimes those things are way off.

That doesn't sound too promising.

I used Safale 04 or possibly 05. I have always found Safale yeast to be of good quality and to get the ferment done in a reasonable time.

Actually, I told a fib earlier. The gravity is at 1018. I forgot I used a different hydrometer than I normally use. But it was the same one as used for the OG, with temp taken into account.

I wonder should I give the refractometer a whirl to see what that says? Although sometimes those things are way off.
Try it and see but recalibrate it using boiled water which has been cooled to room temperature.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Hi phil, sorry missed this post before i started another similar.i re pitched a pack of safale 04/05? the blue pack on a porter that had stuck on 1.030 after 14 days. Nothing after 2 days ,so upped the temp to24c( water bath), a day later, something seems to be happening. Don't use an air lock but there seems to be pressure building. Not sure if this is the new yeast kicking in or the old yeast waking up or if the temp rise is the answer. thou have read this can get fermentation going again. just wondering how long to leave at 24c or drop back to 20c. Thanks, Dave.

Latest posts

Back