'Simply' gluten free pale ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatbrewer

Regular.
Reaction score
I started this at the weekend as a re-introduction to beer making after being diagnosed as coeliac a couple of years ago. I used to make the 'Simply' pale ale a lot so it will be interesting to see how this compares. I always used to use a beer enhancer but this time I am only allowed brewing sugar.

I have no room at home so its being done at my girlfriend's house. I only see her at the weekends so I cant really keep a close eye on it, but she has confirmed that it is bubbling furiously. :thumb:

wOFJU06l.jpg

Not wanting to be a misery. ....did you check your sugar is wheat free?

That is a very good point, but yes it is. I emailed Ritchies and they confirmed that is completely gluten free. They did say that it is packed in the same plant as malt products but using different machinery so contamination is likely to be minimal.

I'd be really interested to find out how this turns out! Let us know when you've sampled some :D

Two weeks on and its not quite finished so I am going to give it another week and aim to bottle it next Saturday. Had a sneaky taste - promising.

Hi,
Also intrigued to find out how this comes along. I currently have one in FV. Just out of interest did you find it at all reluctant to get going? I thought maybe i had ruined the attached yeast by dunking it in very hot water still attached to the the pouch (Doh!), so added some back up- but still no foam just a bit of fizz if agitated.
thanks
Steve

Well, three weeks in the bottle and I couldn't wait any longer! Had a couple last night and they were most enjoyable. Pretty much what you would expect from a basic kit like this but when you have only drunk maybe eight beers in the last two years, it was bloody fantastic.

iyH8dw5l.jpg

I wanted to do this kit exactly as per the instructions as a bench mark for improvements. I shall be starting another one at the weekend, this time with 500g brown sugar, 400g brewing sugar and made up to 18 litres. I'll add some hop pellets after one week and see what happens.

I emailed Richies who make the kits to see if they are planning to expand the range of gluten free beers and was told to expect an announcement later in the year - sounds promising.

Have you tried reduced gluten beer, I have been hearing good things about it? The up side is it uses standard mashing ingredients.

There's a brewery producing totally gluten free beer,might be in the Lake District somewhere. ...I think they use other grains like rice or maybe even that quinoa stuff...

I think that kit is a gluten reduced kit only its already low enough to be called gluten free in its concentrated form.

Crikey...your ponds big! Yeah looks a great beer...enjoy!

Haha! I live on a narrowboat. That's the view from the front deck.

There is a growing number of options. I have to have certified gluten free products as I am ultra sensitive to gluten. Reduced gluten is a bit of a gamble. Likewise, I am reluctant to use products like Calarity Ferm which should break down gluten but without testing equipment, I will never know for sure.

One option is to use grains that don't contain gluten like rice corn and sorghum but having tasted some sorghum beer (sour), I don't think I will bother. I might try and malt some rice to add to a brew though - could be fun.

The great thing is that removing the gluten from barley malt does not alter the flavour so this is clearly the way to go. There is quite a range available in the US and its spreading over here now. The Brewsmarter extract is on my to buy list and hopefully there will be more kits coming soon from Richies.

White Labs sell Clarex, it was originally used for reducing chill haze IIRC and it turns out it breaks down the chains in gluten also.

Just brew your beer as normal and add to fermentor, most gluten free people report no reaction to beer brewed in this way. Mind I wouldn't give it to a celiac.

Gluten-Reduced Beer
If a brewer chooses to make a beer with wheat, barley, or rye, then they can use an enzyme called Clarex to “breakdown” gluten proteins. The enzyme does NOT remove the gluten from the beer, but breaks down the gluten molecule into smaller pieces that are too small to be detected in laboratory tests and, according to the brewers, too small for your body to detect as gluten.

I am coeliac and have to be very careful, (a couple of pasta shells had me projectile vomiting within an hour) so while Clarex and Clarity Ferm are an option for some, I think I will stick with certified products only.

Hi OP.
That does indeed look good. Will let you know how mine goes, as by coincidence used half brown sugar when realised low on the brewing stuff. Have also just added some citrus and cascade hop pellets, just 25g each. See how that pans out. Yours gives me hope!!
Cheers
Steve

I use clarity ferm to reduce the gluten,with me having a wheat intolerance and it works fine with no ill effect.Eat a slice of bread or wheat pasta and im in agony with stomach cramps and bowel problems for several days.I am an all grain brewer and use malt,wheat and barley grains and had no ill effects yet,its better than using sorgum,as its not that pleasant to drink.

Clarity ferm/Clarex has been tested to always reduce gluten to below 20ppm (legally gluten free) buy many commercial setups there is a small risk in a more amateur homebrew setup this may not always be the case but I have read many forum posts where its been used and never heard anyone say its upset anyone with any gluten or wheat condition at all. Also note a mouthful of bread or pasta likely has more gluten in than 20 pints of the highest gluten level standard beer. Also the kit your making is made with reduced gluten barley malt the same way clarity ferm can reduce it only it has the bonus it has been tested.

I did one of these kits for a mate last year ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I3DWVG2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... and it looks like I ran into the same problems that you experienced. i.e.:

o It took ages to get going (I had to add another packet of yeast.)

o It took ages to ferment out to the required FG.

o It took ages to carbonate and clear after bottling. (Over ten weeks if my memory is correct.)

o It tasted fine when it finally cleared.

o After six months the beer taste had faded considerably and it tasted "weak".

I wish you well and advise that you drink it quickly! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back