What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The landlord of the pub I used to go to, which serve the best real ale in the area, was from Kent and he hated Shepard Neame beer.
He referred to them as 'S**t and Scream'

Yep..! That's the most common name for it round here. It's considered to be an excellent dyarhetic and laxative too! So...not all bad news...! :lol:

Tomorrow is my next brew day. I've decided to use up a few leftover grains, hops and add a can of out-of-date Wherry I've got as a make-weight add-in. Hoping it'll be a session bitter, refreshing but with a malty, biscuity taste.

For 20litres

Grains: Pale 2kg-ish, Crystal 100g, Biscuit 80g, Chocolate 50g, 1 x tin Wherry. (Maybe 2 tins, I'll see how the day panns out).

Hops: Challenger 25g, at start of boil, Fuggles 5g, & Northdown (cos I've got a few) 4g, 15min from end. Might dry hop with a few Fuggles too.

I usually follow a tried & tested recipe. :-?

First time I've gone completely off-****** :pray:

Tomorrow is my next brew day. I've decided to use up a few leftover grains, hops and add a can of out-of-date Wherry I've got as a make-weight add-in. Hoping it'll be a session bitter, refreshing but with a malty, biscuity taste.

For 20litres

Grains: Pale 2kg-ish, Crystal 100g, Biscuit 80g, Chocolate 50g, 1 x tin Wherry. (Maybe 2 tins, I'll see how the day panns out).

Hops: Challenger 25g, at start of boil, Fuggles 5g, & Northdown (cos I've got a few) 4g, 15min from end. Might dry hop with a few Fuggles too.

I usually follow a tried & tested recipe. :-?

First time I've gone completely off-****** :pray:

Looks good to me. I have done a fair few beers with one can and a "half" mash. I would suggest more Northdown? Maybe even more Fuggles @ 15.

If you go for adding the other Wherry can, you could push it out to 25L or even more. That would probably give you a bit more than a session beer, though?

Today's beer was a bit of a "mash-up" as people my daughters' age might say.

Maris Otter 4.3kg
Roast Barley 0.5kg
Flaked Barley 0.4kg

So, sort of in line with the familiar GH recipe, but then to empty some rather aged polythene bags:

Caramalt 75g
Chocolate 111g
Biscuit 250g

Because it is Belgian I added 500g of Molasses unrefined sugar and a jam jar full of golden syrup I made at home. Getting this "syrup" out was a real pain because I had boiled it down too far and it was more like toffee than syrup.

I used the hops in the freezer to get to ~ 45 IBU's - so 22g Northern Brewer and 18g of a pellet hop called Pekko.

Brew-day went quite well and I re-arranged the mountain of stuff in the tiny garage (that has never housed a car) to accommodate the recent brews.

Pitched the re-used M31 Belgian Abbeye yeast quite warm as the ground water is a bit hotter than usual.

OG around 1060.

Looks good to me. I have done a fair few beers with one can and a "half" mash. I would suggest more Northdown? Maybe even more Fuggles @ 15.

If you go for adding the other Wherry can, you could push it out to 25L or even more. That would probably give you a bit more than a session beer, though?

Hi Slid, we must think along similar lines, I did up the hops@ 15mins. :thumb: Think I almost doubled both of them. Brewed it to about 18 ltrs. Decided not to add the second Wherry can, when I added the first, SG went to 1.043. I was hoping for a session brew so I reckon that's about right..? Should come in at about 4.2 - 4.5% ish?
I was gonna dry hop as well, but I might just think again on that one
:drink:

Hi Slid, we must think along similar lines, I did up the hops@ 15mins. :thumb: Think I almost doubled both of them. Brewed it to about 18 ltrs. Decided not to add the second Wherry can, when I added the first, SG went to 1.043. I was hoping for a session brew so I reckon that's about right..? Should come in at about 4.2 - 4.5% ish?
I was gonna dry hop as well, but I might just think again on that one
:drink:

Sounds to me as if it should land somewhere between 4.0% and 4.5%, so mission accomplished. :thumb:

You could do a hop tea. I am going to post up a link to a video:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTTU4oNvhZI[/ame]

This is a good series of videos and I really like David Heath's stuff. Very informative.

Very useful video slid. The temps made me realise the errors of my ways before. Will use bottled water for this.

I know it frustrating but I did that one year and when I came home from holiday my brewing set up in my garage was flooded with a rather good stout and a golden ale as the weather turned up very hot and my batches exploded....not best pleased as you could imagine 😠

Mash on!

Red Rye IPA, haven't decided on a name yet, the slightly dubious Redskin is the forerunner.

Batch: 11L
IBU: 64
ABV: 6%
EBC: 30

Pale Malt 75%
Caramalt 5%
Crystal T50 3%
Flaked Rye 10%
Dextrose 5%
Carafa SP III 2% added at vorlauf

Mash 65C for 60 minutes.

Chinook at First Wort - 5g
Chinook at 30 minutes - 10g
Chinook at 15 minutes - 15g
Chinook at Flameout - 20g
Chinook Dry Hop - 50g

Yeast: WLP095 Burlington Ale

Started the Geterbrewed Sir Simcoe (got it with a biab kit I bought) at 0630.
Boiling away now. Mash went well, then I noticed I'd forgotten to put the calcium sulphate into the mash water. :doh: To late by that time. Hope it doesn't make much difference.
One day I will brew without a mistake, but I,m not holding my breath.
This one uses hop tea bags. Never used them before. Should cut down on debris into the FV.

Lovely cloudy warm brew day in West Berkshire.
Session Saison based on BBN's citra saison
23l

MO 1.5k
Pilsner 1.1k
Wheat malt 1k
Flaked wheat .300
Acid malt .090 @ 45 min mash
Sugar .200 @ 15 min

90 min boil
No Chill

Target 10 @60
Coriander 10 @5 min
Citra 20 in cube
Centennial 10 in cube
Citra 30 hop tea
Centennial 20 hop tea

MJ French Saison ferment @ room temp as the brew fridge is busy making lager

23l of the Greg Hughes Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale. OG of 1052 (target was 1050). Had to pitch a pack of US 05 dry and much warmer than I wanted (probably around 28c) but stuck it in the brewfridge to cool to 17c. By the time the foam dies down and the yeast hits the wort it should be at a much more agreeable temperature. This'll be my first properly temperature controlled pale ale so I have high hopes for it...

Did a SMaSH lager last week with marris otter extra pale and saaz. Pitched 2 old vials of WLP380 that I had in the fridge but didn't seem to start. I know, should have made a starter...

Yesterday I did a witbier with the idea of doing both at 18° and pitching some kolsch yeast into the lager, raising the wort to 18° woke the lager yeast though so looks like I'm doing a steam beer (or dumpfbier) along with the wit.

I brewed a Brains SA clone this weekend gone sweet wort was lovely extra helping's of Crystal malt.

However the fermenting took a whole to start had correct temperature etc just didn't go...

So I kicked started it with a half a sachet of strong cider yeast and a teaspoon of bread yeast and good god it's going like the clappers now hahaha hopefully tastes good at the finish.

Think the ABV maybe somewhat higher than anticipated 😂

Back