Fermentation wont start.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triker

Reaction score
I mentioned this on another thread regarding making a 5 gallon batch wine. Its been almost 2 weeks now and this is the second time I've added yeast. For some reason it wont start to ferment.

The temp is hovering at 22/23C. I started the yeast off in some of the must and it was fine, in fact I forgot about for an hour and it was like something from Quatermas. I have given it a good stir. Can someone please tell me why its not happening?

Triker said:
I started the yeast off in some of the must and it was fine, in fact I forgot about for an hour and it was like something from Quatermas.

If that works then do it again, get your small sample fermenting away nicely, then add the rest of the must to that a bit at a time (maybe 1/2 litre or so each time) and wait for it to get going nicely again before you add the next batch.

Otherwise it's hard to be sure what's going on without more details, such as what the ingredients were, did you add any acid, any possible contamination by any cleaning agents (or preservatives if you used fruit juices etc), starting SG (some yeasts won't start well with really high levels of sugar), etc.

Having said all that, as you can get it going with a small batch of your must, then using the method in my first paragraph should get it going.

Good luck

I used Grape and Peach juice and I added an orange plus the zest and 3K of sugar and 10mls of citric acid. The yeast is one that I always use and it has a nutrient already in it.

The hydrometer reading was 1.090. As I say I used the must to start off the yeast and it coped with the sugar very well.

I have made this wine before but in 1 gallon measures. All I did was scaled up.

Back